Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

hi

I have looked through this thread and used the search but i have not been able to find a solution to my problem.

I have downloaded astalavista firefox installer, but everytime i run the command on a clean install of windows xp so that i can just test to see if will go in ok i get an icon in the bottom right of the screen which when you right click on it, it say "script paused" or exit, this is from a command prompt.

i have run the command "setup.exe /silent" also tried other switches like -ms and just double clicking on the file itself. All comes back with the same thing. Tried this on 2 seperate installations of xp, once i get this bit working i can then add it into the unattended section of my runonce.

The original firefox 1.04 from the authors site works with -ms switch no problem, just this one that i cannot get to work. obviously something i am doing wrong or perhaps the i need something else to get the astalavista installer to work ?

Anyhelp appreciated

zomig

Here is what i'm attempting to do. I think it is possible with what i've seen in this post so far, but i'm not 100% on how to go about it. Perhaps a tutorial or something could be put together for custom Firefox installers?

1. Install the latest Firefox 1.0.4 as of this writing.

2. Install custom selected set of extensions. Perhaps with a prompt or dialog box with checkboxes to select/remove the extensions installed per user choice?

3. Install a collection of additional themes that are tested to work with latest Firefox build.

4. Install Quicktime Alternative, Real Alternative, Windows Media, Flash, Shockwave, Adobe Reader plug-ins.

5. Install a preconfigured set of bookmarks.

6. Give the choice of a Firefox desktop icon or start menu icon(pinned to top of start menu if chosen) with both icons having a similar right click options as the IE icon has.

This last one here is one I am having the most trouble with. I am not sure if this is possible or not, but it is something that I and many of my friends are interested in if possible.

6. Configure the automarks/urlfiller/thecleaner extensions or similar so that every time Firefox is started/restarted the url history in the address bar is cleaned and filled with only the urls of bookmarks and set the history function so typed urls don't ever get saved for url address autofill and only bookmark urls autofill/autocomplete in the address bar.

It would be nice to put this all together as a silent installer for clean installs of Windows, but i'd be more than happy to just get some sort of graphical/semi graphical installation like this put together that could be done from within an already installed Windows. Any assistance with putting this together would be greatly appreciated. I'd be glad to document the files and steps necessary with screenshots to some sort of .pdf guide to post online and also be more than happy to seed such a guide/installer via bittorent when completed.

Anyone willing to assist with this, please feel free to eMail me, pm me or IM me via any of the clients I use - AIM/Yahoo/MSN.

I have an installer which does all but 2, 3, and 6. This is all using the default installer.

2. This is just a pain in the arse. There would be to many modifications to both the extension and installer. I usually prefer to do this via command line, and I see no simple way to integrate the many different extensions easily. Good luck with that one.

3. These are similar to extensions, but I haven't checked. Themes would seem easier, but I only run the default theme. If I could ever find one that looks halfway decent I would try to integrate it, but still, there is the command line.

4. Have it, and it is selectable in the installer

5. Don't really have it, but you could copy in your bookmarks.htm file into the installer. Which would be simple.

6a. I have this, and only installs the desktop link if there is a user, otherwise it is the pinned icon. I haven't tested it, and I have it deletable. Though I wouldn't mind someone checking it for me.

6b. You have two 6s. This would be user dependent, or machine specific. This may also require an extension, but I haven't looked into it to much.

I could post my installer, and you can dissamble it, and try to add the parts I won't do.

after a silent install ... How to Get rid of the First Starup Import Settings Screen . .cause i'm trying to run firefox.exe to silently install xpi and jar files. but it shows the imprt settings from Internet Explorer etc Dialog.. Anybody has any idea how to get rid of that?

TQ

Mozilla firefox 1.0.4 silent install without switch

Download swedish

Download English

I have edit config.ini

Look for this

[General]

; Run Mode values:

; Normal - Shows all dialogs. Requires user input.

; Auto - Shows some dialogs, but none requiring user input. It will

; automatically install the product using default values.

; Silent - Show no dialogs at all. It will install product using default

; values.

Run Mode=silent

I have edit config.ini

Look for this

-ma: Run setup in Auto mode.\n *

-ms: Run -setup in normal fashion.\n

change to

-ms: Run -setup in Silent fashion.\n

I know I haven't downloaded the file, but please tell me those aren't the edits you made to make it silent, because that shouldn't. That is the usage string, ie when you use the /? this is what is shown.

What is everyone's obsession with silent, switchless installers? I group that together with a trojan. Leave the switches in there.

It looks like the installer is larger than the normal (english) installer. I'm assuming the swedish would be around the same size. Are there other changes to the installer? If all you want to do is make it switchless, you are adding a lot of extra space for something so trivial.

I read somewhere that somebody used these switches for Firefox:

FF.exe -ms -ira

Does anyone know what this -ira switch does?

And my extensions won't install. What am I doing wrong?

This is part of my RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "Firefox" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%PP%\FF\FF.exe -ms" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 2 /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe\" -CreateProfile default "%USERPROFILE%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\071 /VE /D "Firefox Extensions" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\071 /v 1 /d "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe\" -install-global-extension %PP%\Install\FF\XPI\1.xpi" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\071 /v 2 /d "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe\" -install-global-extension %PP%\Install\FF\XPI\2.xpi" /f

Firefox installs fine, but not the extensions.

Is the profile-creation done right?

(I don't want to make a SFX with a ready-prepared profile, I'd rather do it this way..... if it's possible..)

Does anyone know what this -ira switch does?

This is supposed to disable the RunAppX sections in the installer, but I don't think it is really needed anymore. I usually leave it, in case they decide to update the installer.

And my extensions won't install. What am I doing wrong?

This is part of my RunOnceEx.cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "Firefox" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%PP%\FF\FF.exe -ms" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 2 /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe\" -CreateProfile default "%USERPROFILE%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\071 /VE /D "Firefox Extensions" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\071 /v 1 /d "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe\" -install-global-extension %PP%\Install\FF\XPI\1.xpi" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\071 /v 2 /d "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe\" -install-global-extension %PP%\Install\FF\XPI\2.xpi" /f

Firefox installs fine, but not the extensions.

Is the profile-creation done right?

(I don't want to make a SFX with a ready-prepared profile, I'd rather do it this way..... if it's possible..)

There could be a couple problems. I know some extensions have issues, but its usually rare. If you are doing this on a slower computer, or VMware, it could be taking its time making a profile, or installing old extensions. I would check to make sure the profile is made. Then for the extension, I usually add the start /wait, otherwise it seems to jump to the next one, creating problems. I usually consoladate the installing of extensions in a batch file, which I have posted in another thread.

trying with

@echo off

start /wait "%systemdrive%\program files\mozilla\firefox.exe" -add-global-extentions %systemdrive%\oem\ffxpi\extention.xpi
exit

Seams to just start firefox (in browser mode)

where the same command (without start /wait) does install the extention - anyone for comment???

trying with
@echo off

start /wait "%systemdrive%\program files\mozilla\firefox.exe" -add-global-extentions %systemdrive%\oem\ffxpi\extention.xpi
exit

Seams to just start firefox (in browser mode) 

where the same command (without start /wait)  does install the extention - anyone for comment???

Make sure you have the right parameter

-install-global-extension

Also make sure you don't have another firefox.exe running, as that would cause problems (this is why I insist on the start /wait).

When using simonsays package the shortcuts on the desktop and the quicklaunch bar don't get the mozilla firefox icon (they have the "no icon"-icon). Any fix to this? (it's annoying to locate the icons manually).

When using simonsays package the shortcuts on the desktop and the quicklaunch bar don't get the mozilla firefox icon (they have the "no icon"-icon). Any fix to this? (it's annoying to locate the icons manually).

weird, open the sfx exe archive and locate Setup\setup.cmd.

at the very end of that file you'll see the commands used to create shortcuts, feel free to play with them (although is working fine here :})

Yeah, I figured that it might work or it would've been reported. But for me the icons have not worked on two separate installations (and the older and newer version of your package, if I recall the pre-1.0.2 worked). I don't really see anything wrong with the cmd-file but the fact is that the shortcuts wont locate the .ico files from the directory even if they're there. So to fix the icons have to manually pick the firefox exe and choose the icons from it. Weird.

Well I'll see if I can figure something out, suggestions are appreciated.