Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

@SiMoNsAyS

I have checked out your link and downloaded the file. Now I am going to try it again.

Its ( the threath) is getting bigger and bigger indeed, I think it's a wonder how you can keep up to date whit it, and still make time to help everybody.

I have allso a nother problem but first I will try to find (search) it my self.

D@RKNeSS

• 3 weeks later...

there's no sustancial changes between versions so you can use the same method for 1.0.2 and above :)

ps: i was thinking on improving the desktop shortcut so it would have the same properties as the IE one, any1 interested?

[edit]code removed to prevent confussion :P[/edit]

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

Hello.

This is my second post (the first one was my introduction). I hope I don't do anything wrong.

I installed successfully Firefox 1.0.4 with SymonSays setup. Wonderful :D

I added my bookmarks and all the extensions I wanted, but no profile info.

All went ok - all the extensions I added to XPI directory installed without problems.

Now I have just one problem: I cannot delete the c:\firefox directory where the installation files were copied.

I am using the RunOnceEx method with the help of RunOnceEx.cmd creator.

I read the guide and copied some instructions for a cleanup.cmd.

The strange is that it deletes the c:\install directory but not c:\firefox directory.

Here is my cleanup.cmd:

cmdow @ /HID

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 240 -c "Windows XP vai reiniciar dentro de 4 minutos..."

net user aspnet /delete

DEL "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Spybot - Search & Destroy.lnk"

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\SpywareBlaster.lnk"

DEL "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Mozilla Firefox.lnk"

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\install\

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\Firefox\

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\$Progs\MSN Gaming Zone\

EXIT

Can someone help?

Attention SimonSays!

Firefox 1.04

Info:

* Built In Flash Plugin

* Lots of Extensions Pls see my post in previous page for a list

* Totally Silent - except for the extraction box. (Sorry I am really busy with work, no chance to repack it.)

* Built in theme

Click the image below to begin downloading...

header.png

Instructions, when u get to RapidShare Click on "FREE"

U will see a counter.... LOOK / STARE at it. Until it says ZERO then

you can start to download the file.

This is for CLEAN install only! If you want to test it you must

Delete the mozilla folder in your C:\Documents and Settings\xxxUSERNamexxx\Applications Folder.

A special thank U & Credit to Mhz for helping me compile this baby.

* List of Extensions Included Plus Others * ( latest builds as of Today May 15, 2005)

A' Currency Converter
Adblock
Add Bookmark Here
Bbcode
Context Highlight
Copy Url+
Cutemenus
Define Word
Download Manager Tweak
Download Sort
Download Statusbar
Dragtotab
Flashgot
Gmail Notifier
Google Pagerank Status
Google Preview
Inline Autocomplete
Paste And Go
Pdf Download
Print Preview
Quicknote
Quicktabpreftoggle
Resize Search Box
Securepassword Generator
Sort Extensions
Tabbrowser Preferences
Textmarker
Translate Page
Tweak Network
Unhide Passwords
Whois Lookup

JohnS, I too had the same problem, the contents of the directory were deleted, but the directory remained, even when I added an additional RD command just as you have. Finally rather than beat my brains over it, I decided to make it work for me. I use a DL Manager as do millions.

By default, downloads are sent to My Downloads directory, so I simply decided that if I couldn't remove the Firefox temporary directory automatically, I might as well make it work for me. I just changed it's name to My Downloads in the setup.cmd and voila, one less directory that needs to be created. If you use a DL Manager, then may I suggest this as an alternative solution.

A new udpated version, only to add support for the desktop shorcut with IE similar properties. Thanks 2forza for the idea (converted from .reg to batch and fixed a little mistake on the code ;)).

(+) Feature Added

(-) Feature Removed

(*) Feature Remaining

(†) Note

Features List:

* Silent by default! No switches needed!

+ Optionally invisible †1   

+ Language independant and version independant! †2

+ ADT (Advanced Developer Tools) Component is now optionally installed as QFA (Quality Feedback Agent)

* Icon sizes boosted up to 128x128 †3

+ Prefetch tweak added to shortcuts. Optional shortcuts to default profile and profiles admin †4

* Removed certain searchplugins by default: Amazon, eBay and Creative

* Added certain searchplugins: MSFN, Filemirrors, Google (images), IMDB, Microsoft

* Added certain plugins: Adobe Acrobat 7, RealPlayer™ (Live Connect included), QuickTime, Shockwave Flash, Shockwave for Director

* Preferences Tweak †5

* MSFN Forum Thread Bookmark

+ Custom Extensions, Themes, Defaults\Profile, Plugins, Searchplugins and Language Pack support! †6

* Powered by RarLabs :P †7

* Desktop shortcut IE-like †8

†1 CMDOW needs to be placed on System32 or Setup.cmd folder in order to hide the command prompt window

†2 From now on there's no Firefox Setup included on the installer, that results on a smaller download, language and version independant.

†3 New icons with sizes up to 128x128

†4 Now using shortcut.exe. Optional shortcuts are available once you remove "REM" from some lines at the bottom of Setup\setup.cmd. Only for english and spanish systems

†5 Navigation speedup improvements included on the MSFN profile

†6 Open the setup file with WinRAR, place on Setup\XPI your extensions and on Setup\JAR your themes

Files present on Setup\DefaultsProfile will be copied to \defaults\profile on Mozilla's Firefox directory

Setup\Profile is where you can place your custom profile. Profiles.ini and Profiles\ folder goes there (originally they can be found on %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox)

Setup\Plugins and Setup\Searchplugins folders can also be used, just drop the necessary files there

Finally if you place the spanish langpack on Setup\XPI it will be automatically detected, that means you can take a look at the code (Setup\setup.cmd) and add your own language

†7 Setup no longer uses the mozilla's installer, silent switch implemented since 1.0.1

†8 IE-like shortcut disabled by default. Take a look at the end of Setup\setup.cmd to enable it and remove the default (.lnk).

F.A.Q.:

Q: Do I need all of this crap? I only want my firefox installed silently!

A: No you don't need it! Just use -ms switch over the default installer (will only work for 1.0.1 or later). BTW, is not crap!

Q: How do I add my localized version of Firefox to your installer.

A: Easy, rename the original Firefox setup you downloaded to Setup.exe. Then open the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe) with WinRAR and add Setup.exe to it so dir structure will be left as...

Setup.exe

Setup\

Q: What if I need to ADD/REMOVE components from Firefox like ADT (Advanced Developer Tools) or QFA (Quality Feedback Agent).

A: You can do it in two ways; you can run the original Firefox setup, look on your %TEMP% dir and copy it to a safe location. You can alternatively open the .exe setup with WinRAR and extract the contents.

Edit config.ini, if you want to remove QFA delete the line "C5=Component QFA" under "[setup Type0]" and/or "C6=Component QFA" under "[setup Type1]". If you want to add ADT then change line "Default Setup Type=Setup Type 0" to "Default Setup Type=Setup Type 1".

If you don't know how to identify setup files, then you better don't do anything.

Finally just select all the files present there (setup.exe must be on the same dir) and add them to the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe) with WinRAR so dir structure will be left as...

setuprsc.dll

setup.exe

config.ini

install.ini

license.txt

Index.txt

help.xpi

es-ES.xpi

browser.xpi

adt.xpi

talkback.xpi

xpcom.xpi

UninstallFirefox.zip

Setup\

Note: If you removed ADT then you can delete "adt.xpi" to save space.

Q: I want Firefox with the most common plugins, maybe a couple of extensions/themes.

A: Then this setup fits your purposes. Just download your favorite extensions (XPI format) and/or your favorite themes (JAR format) and place them on Setup\XPI or Setup\JAR respectively.

Q: I also want my favorites, own preferences, misc, saved passwords...

A: For me this is the best method if you combine it with XPI and JAR files. Go to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random name>. From there you can copy some interesting files like bookmarks.html (favorites), formhistory.dat, hostperm.1 (allowed sites), signons.txt (saved passwords), search.rdf, localstore.rdf (contains info about your extensions so be sure you installed them first), user.js (user preferences), prefs.js (related to preferences), secmod.db, key3.db, cert8.db...

Export them to the RAR-SFX (Firefox_Silent_Setup.exe\Setup\Profile\Profiles\default.msfn), default favorites and navigation tweaks are stored there and they'll be overwritten by your preferences.

Note: Be sure to don't copy Cache, Cache.Trash, Chrome or Extensions dirs if you are going to use Setup\XPI and Setup\JAR

Q: Those other methods didn't work for me and I'm getting crazy! / Other methods did work but I want to use the same profile for multiple users!

A: You better search how to create a Defaults\Profile. After it has been created, copy the contents of "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\Defaults\Profile" to Setup\DefaultsProfile. If it's detected then a new shortcut will be added to the Start Menu.

Q: I want to help you in some way.

A: Then find a way to create a PayPal account on Spain and pay my Internet connection LoL

if you knew how to use the oldest installation you should be able to play with this without problems.

Download!

Get Firefox!

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

I am so glad that I am the only one having a problem, because it means I am not alone.

That could be a solution, but it has to be a reazon for that directory not being deleted.

I found out that it is not only the command in my cleanup.cmg that fails.

The setup.cmg inside SiMoNsAyS Firefox Silent Setup has the same code and it also doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Even the creator of this magnificent setup did not want that Firefox directory.

There must be someone that can erase it.

Thanks for your attention.

JohnS, I too had the same problem, the contents of the directory were deleted, but the directory remained, even when I added an additional RD command just as you have.  Finally rather than beat my brains over it, I decided to make it work for me.  I use a DL Manager as do millions. 

By default, downloads are sent to My Downloads directory, so I simply decided that if I couldn't remove the Firefox temporary directory automatically, I might as well make it work for me.  I just changed it's name to My Downloads in the setup.cmd and voila, one less directory that needs to be created.  If you use a DL Manager, then may I suggest this as an alternative solution.

i don't have that problem, that directory is removed correctly.

you can try to make a reboot before the cleanup, that will solve the issue. maybe setup.exe is still running when you are trying to delete the folder...

SiMoNsAyS:

I tried two differente things:

The first was to put RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\Firefox\ in my cleanup.cmg.

The second was to take it off because it was already in your setup as the last command.

None worked.

Please tell me, how can I make a a reboot before the cleanup?

Thank you

it hardly depends on how you organize your installation.

personally, after all the programs are installed and desktop is shown i exectute...

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 30 -c "Windows will restart on 30 seconds..."

just after this (during these 30 seconds), i import some final runonce entries for the cleanup.

hope it helps :)