Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

you mean the desktop shortcuts, right? Not the installation command

desktop and start menu shortcuts, right

how do you auto-setup the shortcuts?

in the file you downloaded you can find the folder "Setup\Shortcuts\es-ES"; shortcuts are already created with "%programfiles%" variable (path independant), if setup.cmd detects an es-ES XPI it copies the propper shortcuts.

now that you understand how it works you only need to replaces es-ES with you xx-XX language strings and XPI.

@SiMoNsAyS

I am really p***ed of by firefox installer.I only added extensions to XPI dir and added theme files to JAR dir.I didnt added any files to anydir.When I run setup after extension setup import dialog shows up.It doesnt matter which extension I try to install.I think extensions and themes should be setup after the first run or am I missing something ?

I just wanted to thank you for your work in this sweet firefox setup, I love it

@LaptoniC, did u export your own profile (setup\profile)?

if not try creating a profile first

md /y "%userprofile%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"
"%programfiles%\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe" -CreateProfile profilename "%userprofile%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"

@Excalabat, many thanks dude. people like you worth the time expended creating the file ;)

Quick question for ya... up until now, Ive been using Astas default profile method of applying my extensions and themes. If I wanted to move to the method you have now worked into the installer (adding the xpi's and jar's) whats the best way to keep the settings of my extensions? It appears as though all of these settings are kept in 'prefs.js', which is locate in '%userprofile%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random name>.default'. If this is the only file that needs to be implemented to ensure all of my extension settings are preserved, what would be the best way to have this file included?

Thanks as always!

drn_geek

The question was not directed at YOU!

It was for SimonSays for clarification purpose.

I think u should watch your manners.

Durex has made a lot of contributions to msfn.

And he is not a noob.

i did not insult anyone.

so i just said:

i dont understand what the hassle is, coz the cmd-line works just fine... thats all... if this insults anybody, so i am sorry.

i also do not understand why you intimidate me here... ??

i dont see a reason.

but i guess this aint the right form for this, so if you have anymore comments to my posts, feel free to pm me.

@durex, sorry to be late. profiles.ini file and <random name>.default dir is what you need.

the rest inside <random name>.default just depends of what you want, generally, "Cache", "Cache.Trash" and optionally "chrome" and "extensions" are unneeded (the last two if you use XPI and JAR folders to install extensions and themes).

some important files are bookmarks.html (favorites), signons.txt (passwords for your sites), compatibility.ini (info about your firefox's version), prefs.js and user.js (the first contains info and preferences about your plugins and extensions, the second contains information about the location of you buttons and misc.), mimeTypes.rdf (what firefox need to do with the files you downloaded, i.e. open with or save to disk), localstore.rdf (relative to extensions and plugins installed)... other important files to preserve: cert8.db, formhistory.dat, hostperm.1, key3.db, secmod.db...

finally some extensions had their own preferences stored on a subfolder like forecastfox so export it too.

if you don't want headaches and save time, simply export profiles.ini and <random name>.default dir without subfolders :)

@drn_geek, that's right, this installer simply simplifies the task plus add a couple of functions for people that use other methods and/or want to add custom plugins/searchplugins.

don't misunderstand Astalavista, i think he only wanted to read an answer from me :)

keep it clean boys, i'm sure we're a friendly community :P

@drn_geek, that's right, this installer simply simplifies the task plus add a couple of functions for people that use other methods and/or want to add custom plugins/searchplugins.

don't misunderstand Astalavista, i think he only wanted to read an answer from me :)

keep it clean boys, i'm sure we're a friendly community :P

thx. as i said: it wasnt an attack to anyone of anything...

as for me i am clean...

so we maybe can switch back to topic?

As always i have a problem with the installer :D

now ill explain in full detail, what I have done and whats happening :)

Ok got the download, and placed my profile (which was a fresh profile using 1.0.1 in the first place) and placed the files in setup/profilel and setup/defaultsprofile.

Now i winRared it up like needed and added the same comment from the archive simon has put up for download.

REM Plugins and Searchplugins Setup
XCOPY /Y /E /Q /H /R "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Firefox\Setup\plugins" "%SHORTPF%\MOZILL~1\plugins"
XCOPY /Y /E /Q /H /R "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Firefox\Setup\searchplugins" "%SHORTPF%\MOZILL~1\searchplugins"

Now this code actually makes a folder called "MOZILL~1" in my program files directory. Which also makes all the other associations off because they try to open with firefox.exe located in "MOZILL~1" which doesnt exist in that directory.

Also:

IF EXIST "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Firefox\Setup\Profile\*.*" XCOPY "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Firefox\Setup\Profile" "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox" /Y /E /Q /H /R

Now this is saying, if files exist in the install directory (which they do), copy them to application data\mozilla\firefox, but when firefox gets installed it used a folder with a random name to store profiles. so this just makes all those files get copied to the root with the folder with the random name, when they should be inside?

Man oh man i always get problems and no one else does :'(

Nice work though Simonsays, always apprecitate your hard work and help!

Why Firefox startup is too slow where as Internet Explorer is faster? How can I emmbeded Firefox with msn so I can't go my account as it does for Internet explorer?

ie is integrated into win. firefox has to load his env.

if this is to slow for you, you may want to check out on mozdev site for portable firefox.

this has been optimized to run off an usb stick, therefore no need to install.

should be easy to copy to hd and run from there.

is maybe a bit faster.

i am unsure if i understood the 2nd part.

u want to use firefox instead IE when using msn?

link:http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/

for thunderbird and sunbird just change firefox into those names...

plz 1 by 1 lol

@Mekrel, it is SUPPOSED to work without problems :P

for MOZILL~1 problem just do a search and replace on setup.cmd, search "MOZILL~1" with "Mozilla Firefox" (without quotes)

second problem is easier than first, when you export your profile be sure to don't forget profiles.ini ;)

@badboy05mtl, firefox first startup is supposed to be slow, it has to create pluginreg.dat file. from that it will start as faster as IE (maybe quicker), as everything it depends of the amount of extensions and themes you've installed.

you can remove dlls from plugins\ dir to speedup but you'll lose some functionality, try to remove only what you don't need

edit: forgot msn question, if you talk about msgr, then at the moment there's no other way to do it than hex-editing the main msn exe that will be tricky and unuseful when a new version comes up.

something similar happens with the link to your mail on the start menu, it calls a system dll used to open hotmail on ie

Edited by SiMoNsAyS