Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

I got firefox too install by changing the setup file. I then used 7zip and then

copy /b 7zSD.sfx + config.txt + "Firefox Setup 1.0.1PR.7z" "FirefoxSetup.exe"

too make one files. Then I used PREPARE.VBS for the profile and it all works fine so can I do the same with Thunderbird. I changed the setup file but how do I do the profile.I think PREPARE.VBS would need changing but don't know what.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post here (been lurking for about a month now), so I want to say thanks to everyone for the tremendous wealth of tips and tricks available on this forum. In particular, I've been interested in this Firefox silent installation thread, since I've been having problems getting this working myself.

I've combined several different ideas presented here, and have my own fairly unique way of packaging Firefox for a silent install. Where I'm running into problems, though, is installing extensions automatically. My preferred method is to use -install-global-extension <extension.xpi>, but I simply cannot get this to work in either of the Firefox release candidates. I can see from many posts on these boards that this method has been used successfully on older builds, but has anyone tried using it on the RC builds? It simply will not work for me.

I'm able to install themes with -install-global-theme, and I'm able to install Thunderbird extensions with -install-global-extension, just not Firefox. Could anyone please check this and let me know whether or not it works for you? If it doesn't work, could you also please post details to this bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266615

If it does work, though, I'd appreciate some help getting my issues resolved. :-) Thanks again for all the hard work everyone has already put into this.

I'm using 1.0 PR and it's working flawlessly for me (all 34 install fine!).

The only thing I got issues with is the prepare.cmd. If I include a user profile like that, when I type a URL it opens a new window that doesn't do anything. Kinda messed up.

But, there are many alternative ways to install firefox and user profiles. I'll be definately looking deeper into this when the final comes out (think it's due for the 18th, isn't it?)

Installing the main app and the plugins is a non issue as far as I'm concerned (I don't use skins on anything at all). The only "complex" thing is the user profile, which seems to create several issues... I've seen various scripts and ways, but it takes a while to test all this with several users accounts. I plan on having a deep look at the GlobalProfile way of deploying a profile, see if that will work better (I hope so!) But again, it'll have to wait till the final is out. I see little point of doing all this work now and having to redo it all in a little over a week from now. I might make a different guide than SiMoNsAyS' - probably a bit easier too (mostly simplified, but just for english systems...) Perhaps It'll have the scripts and modified files pre-made for download too... We'll see!

BTW: welcome to MSFN :)

Oh, I thought that the RC's were PRIOR to PR :wacko: ... The names don't say much, and their download page offers PR as latest, kinda confusing.

After searching a bit, I found their roadmap. They're already planning for v1.1... By the timeline, 1.0 final is due in 3 days :) I guess I'll just wait then :lol:

@totoymola: thanks for cleaning things out!

Hello. I need your opinion about my problem. I created an msi for the RC2, which includes themes and extensions, and it works perfectly for me everytime. However, if it doesn't work on other computers. It seems like the themes are not working properly. Does it means the msi I created is machine dependent?

oK first view: installer is really similar (if not the same). config.ini is really a clone of 1.0 PR. setup can be built with the same method (i've updated a few lines on the guide).

there are a few things that i really don't like, f.e. the search bar now have a few additions like yahoo, amazon and ebay :angry: also the plugins/extensions/themes aren't updated to 1.0 yet :P

no more to say at the moment ;)

ps: toe_cutter hola! :hello:

[edit]the search on page feature looks really nice![/edit]

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

there are a few things that i really don't like, f.e. the search bar now have a few additions like yahoo, amazon and ebay mad.gif

Haha.. I was expecting that. Because it is free, so it needs advertisements to make money. Well, too bad for most of us. I just hope they will not include ad-wares on their fuutre releases. :thumbdown Is there any way to remove them?

the search bar now have a few additions like yahoo, amazon and ebay [...]  Is there any way to remove them?

you can create a cmd to delete them like:

del /f /q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\amazondotcom.src"
del /f /q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\amazondotcom.png"

but i find more suitable...

rd /s /q "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins"

Then use a rar sfx to unpack your own search plugins to that folder :whistle:

[edit]i've been deep looking through mozilla's ftp, the link posted is really really really nearly final (if not final xD) file was crated 11/08/04 9:41[/edit]

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

Just figured out that the rc2 also has those search plugins. But I can't see any yahoo and amazon icons on my browser. I guess I don't have to do anything about it. :P

[edit]i've been deep looking through mozilla's ftp, the link posted is really really really nearly final (if not final xD) file was crated 11/08/04 9:41[/edit]

Is that P.M.? If it is, then that must be the final! Unless they will have another last minute release. :D

edit: i think they will place their final release on the "release" category, not in the "nightly". so this might be the ftp site that we have to check.

http://ftp26moz.newaol.com/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

or

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/