Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

dropped :P

Right :D

Heres my little guide to doing it, ill try to be short :)

Some line skipping and i did this on 1.0PR

Edit: Oh yeah, i forgot to say that i fixed the FF opening part, its in this guide at the bottom Hold on part.

Edit again: Added windows integration (Shortcuts)

Edit 4th oct: Ive noticed that after first run wizard (import favorites etc) ff doesnt start automaticly, to lazy to check it out now, might be something with the lines 742-759.

Open the config.ini

Go to line 9

Change from

Run Mode=Normal

too

Run Mode=Silent

On line 29 you can change where to install FireFox

If you dont want ADT (Ablah Developer Tools) go past this part:

Now if you want ADT make sure you do this:

On the line 84 change

Default Setup Type=Setup Type 0

too

Default Setup Type=Setup Type 1

and then go down to line 544 and change this:

Attributes=FORCE_UPGRADE|VISIBLE

too this:

Attributes=SELECTED|FORCE_UPGRADE|VISIBLE

Keep the rest intact on that line!!

Now everyone, continue here:

On the lines 288-301 you can change where you want FF icons to be. Just change the appropriate CheckBoxState=TRUE according to the description under to either FALSE or TRUE (duh? but the quicklaunch doesnt work for some reason, im installing FF from RunOnceEx)

Go up/down to the line number 392 and edit this:

Launch App Checked=TRUE

to this:

Launch App Checked=FALSE

Hold on! Were not done yet. This is the important part!

Go further down to the lines 742-759 and either comment it out with ; (which i did) or delete them (which i havent tested)

Now were done, i hope i havent missed anything, if so tell me and ill have a look.

Run it with the setup you downloaded in the first post and all should be good.

@toe_cutter: does the method you mentioned gives firefox the ability to silently installed? i tried your suggestion but i was prompted to specify the install folder where firefox should be installed to.

plus another thing, once i clicked on Next at the Install Folder dialog, nothing happens and the Next button remains depressed. Even at that state, other buttons are still clickable though.

@toe_cutter: does the method you mentioned gives firefox the ability to silently installed? i tried your suggestion but i was prompted to specify the install folder where firefox should be installed to.

plus another thing, once i clicked on Next at the Install Folder dialog, nothing happens and the Next button remains depressed. Even at that state, other buttons are still clickable though.

Read my bottom line in my guide, you still need the setup.exe from the first page attachment in this thread. Using firefox's setup.exe the same thing happens to me, it just hangs after i press next.

Read my bottom line in my guide, you still need the setup.exe from the first page attachment in this thread. Using firefox's setup.exe the same thing happens to me, it just hangs after i press next.

I must be missing something. Your guide says you did this to PR1, but the setup.exe on the first page is for 0.9.3 is it not?

I must be missing something.  Your guide says you did this to PR1, but the setup.exe on the first page is for 0.9.3 is it not?

No, i think you're getting it pretty right.

I did this to 1.0PR but i used the setup.exe from the attachment (FirefoxSilent.zip), not 0.9.3 install file.

Heres a link to that attachment:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=At...=post&id=179381

In it is a setup.exe, use that one :)

The only problem now is that it doesnt start after youve done the import favorites wizard, and that you have to copy a shortcut to the quicklaunch bar (if youre using that option ofc) either yourself or have it done by xcopy somewhere along the installation.

This can all be done w/ little work, your favorite text editor , and your favorite compression tool that creates self extracting archives...

you will also nee a couple file from the mozilla installer for this...

download the stub installer and start it . do not cancel or finish it

pull the following files from %TEMP%\ns_temp\

SETUPRSC.DLL

SETUP.EXE

the firefox installer is a valid 7zip archive and can be opened in winRar or 7zip (probably winzip too but i haven't confirmed this) just exract it to some working directory

replace the setup.exe and setuprsc.dll in the working directory with the ones from the mozilla installer

modify config.ini as you wish to add extensions and change options

creat sfx archive

fire fox uses the folowing in theirs

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

Title="Mozilla Firefox"

RunProgram="setup.exe"

;!@InstallEnd@!

this should work

dont forget the .dll w/out it the installer wont work right

I like the whole sfx archive thing but I still can't get the config.ini too install extensions.

This is what I have added

C5=Component Clone_Window_0.2.3

[Component Clone_Window_0.2.3]

Description Short=Clone_Window_0.2.3

Description Long=Clone_Window_0.2.3

Archive=Clone_Window_0.2.3.xpi

Install Size=6

Install Size System=1

Install Size Archive=1

Attributes=SELECTED

FileCount= 2

What am I missing?

@bmn it's very similar to what it's explained on step1, the only 2 differences i see it's that in the zip attached to first post it's stored the setup.exe file from mozilla installation so you don't need to download it and that you use 7zip and not rar :P

@ic0dk0c00 you can always try to export your profile with your extensions as explained in step2 ;)

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

Ive been trying to add an extension via the installers config.ini for the past 3 hours with no luck. My conclusion is that every extension's install.js would need to be edited. Alot.

And quite frankly, i dont know how to do so. Ive tried editing one extension to get it to work, but all i got was an invalid_argument error (code -208).

So if you really want extensions, go with Step 2 on the first post

@SiMoNsAyS

Have you tried this tool before? -> http://home.comcast.net/~ifrit/FFDeploy.html

im currently running it, but it seems to hang when building the exe, 100% cpu aswell...