For VMWare users

jaclaz

As you might know, there is this Virtual Disk Driver from Ken Kato:

http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vdk.html

that allows to mount to a Drive letter, Disk Image files made with VMWare, plus a few more types.

The driver is a real must have for anyone using VMWare Disk Image files, but being command-line only it is sometimes awkward to use.

I just wrote Virtual Drive Manager, a GUI interface to the driver that makes its use much simpler.

It is version 0.9 Beta now.

I would like to have comments, suggestions, bug reports from VMWare users.

You can find Virtual Drive Manager here:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...ts/VDM/vdm.html

jaclaz

This looks to be a nice tool, will check it out when I get home....

EDIT: there's only a CMD there - is that what I'm supposed to download? :)

BTW jaclaz, your license is absolutely ROTFLOL, I couldn't help smiling when I saw it:

This script is released as "CAREWARE", it may be freely distributed, used, modified and whatever, provided that the user, at least once per use, performs ANY of the following

1 - Smiles at somebody/something

2 - Hugs or pats on the shoulder a friend/colleague/pet/furry little creature from Alpha Centauri

3 - Acts nicely towards a friend/foreigner/alien/any other living being

4 - Kisses his/her girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband/any other living being (de gustibus...)

5 - Feels happy even without apparent reason

6 - Stops whining for an hour, a day, a week, your choice

Important Note: if you don't like this idea, just ignore it -- you can have this anyway.

@prathapml

Yep,

I borrowed some ideas here and there, most probably is not well worded, legally speaking, but it is how I feel free software should be....

...and how people should behave.

:thumbup

Besides it seems like it worked for you, even without actually USING the proggie!

:D

jaclaz

Nope, its wording is fine - I was referring to how nice and funny it is, I liked those words. :D

I said the concept looks good, that's all. You still haven't said if the CMD is all I'm supposed to get from there......

• 5 months later...

I haven't tried it but this idea is more appealing to me:

Just reserve a small partition (say 4 GB or something like that) of your fysical disk, and then let vmware use this partition directly as a disc.

Anyone with experience with that? I mean what happens when you let vmware make that partition bootable? What could possibly go wrong (in the worst case)?

hate to spoil the fun

(and there is fun:))

but doesnt this util from vmware do the same thing?

VMware DiskMount Utility

http://vmware-svca.www.conxion.com/softwar...-3.1.0-9089.exe

Yep, sure, so you need to install either a 8.3 Mb or 9.4 Mb downloaded exe instead of copying a small driver + exe (168Kb) and an optional GUI, cmd + exe + bmp (160 Kb) to any directory.

Besides, this driver from Ken Kato can mount RAW images too (i.e. plain disk images, like the ones you can make with dd or winimage).

And there is an already made plugin for PE builder.

Just reserve a small partition (say 4 GB or something like that) of your fysical disk, and then let vmware use this partition directly as a disc.

Anyone with experience with that? I mean what happens when you let vmware make that partition bootable? What could possibly go wrong (in the worst case)?

Well, on a physical disk a partition is either bootable (Active) or not.

So if you make a partition Active for VMWare, next time you boot normally you will boot from that partition.

So you need to either:

1) Make that bootable partition on your second harddisk

or

2) Change the Active flag in the Partition table of the MBR of the disk BEFORE using VMWare and set it back AFTER having used it, BEFORE rebooting. (if by any reason you reboot, say because of a power shortage, you are stuck and will need a boot disk, floppy or CD to fix things)

jaclaz