Trimming Nero 6

tak

Just a thought - is it possible to trim the Nero 6.3.x.x installation?

The "required" package for download (read: package 1) from Ahead comes with lots of junk that I'd never need like Wave Editor and Image Drive and stuff. I tried opening up the SFX, but didn't know where to go from there. Overall, after installation, it weighs in at 30+ MB or so. Compare that to burnatonce - less than 5 MB. :huh:

Any thoughts or comments on this, or how to go about doing this? :) I did a search and didn't find anything that was really useful along these lines....

You could delete some files post-install, but it might not save that much space. Nero.exe itself is already 13 megs (although you could delete some 15kb language files, 20kb big wav files and such...). There just isn't much you could delete. My nero install takes up around 64mb and it doesn't bother me at all. Features (even if you don't use them) aren't a nuisance either. Why bother trimming it anyways? Storage space is becoming so cheap nowadays it's not even funny... If I look at my usual computer shop, storage space is under 60 cents (US) per gig now (if you look at big drives that is)... So accordingly, saving 100 megs of storage is like emptying 6 cents worth of storage (and it doesn't affect performance in a meaningful way either).

I upx all exe's and have never had a problem doing so. I do not compress the icon's however. if you delete anything from the sfx, you will get an error after you repack and trigger the setup inside. UPX'ing nero works fine in all pe builds i have ever made (for those who might...)

Why bother trimming it anyways? Storage space is becoming so cheap nowadays it's not even funny... If I look at my usual computer shop, storage space is under 60 cents (US) per gig now (if you look at big drives that is)... So accordingly, saving 100 megs of storage is like emptying 6 cents worth of storage (and it doesn't affect performance in a meaningful way either).

Mainly, I'm interested because I'm really limited on space at 40GB (dual-boot system w/Linux on the side takes up 20GB), and there's no real hardware upgrade route for my laptop. Unless you count getting ripped off by IBM for one of their Deathstars, 80GB for $400USD. :( This is a system where every bit of space that's able to be saved, should/must.

It was just a thought ;)