SP2 Home - Professional Boot Screens

jrzycrim

Well, I used Paintshop Pro and Reshacker. I ripped the home and professional overlays as well as the main bitmap from an older SP1 kernel. I loaded all the images into PSP and loaded the default palette. I simply pasted 'Home' and 'Pro' onto the main bitmap and changed the copyright date. Loaded an all-black palette into all the images and saved them. Used Reshacker to load the images back into the sp2 kernel. Oh, I almost forgot, I grabbed the green progress bar from the older kernel to use for the new home version. Makes it look like the older home edition booting. Loaded the same images into the ntkrnlmp versions.

bucketbuster, if your using booteditor, just download the booteditor files. Make a folder in your booteditor folder and place XPSP2Pro.bootscreen in that folder. Run booteditor. On the left, you should see the name of the folder you just created. Double-click on that, then select the bootscreen. CLick test. Look in your system32 folder for a filed called newboot.exe. That's the newly created kernel.

hhmmm, sorry jrzycrim but i don't really understand what to do. can you or someone in this forum give me a detailed set of instructions i can follow to make my XP PRO SP 2 boot up screen look like normal with the version under Windows XP. I will be using Paint Shop Pro 9 or Adobe Photo Shop (if someone has photo shop for adobe, please help me with that one) THANKS a lot

Ah yes, these are for single processor systems. If you have a dual threading or multi-processor systetm, do not use these kernels. I'll upload a version using ntkrnlmp.exe.

what happens if u hv the ntkrnlmp.exe? and u hv only a single processor system?

will it also hang?

:unsure:

hhmmm, sorry jrzycrim but i don't really understand what to do. can you or someone in this forum give me a detailed set of instructions i can follow to make my XP PRO SP 2 boot up screen look like normal with the version under Windows XP. I will be using Paint Shop Pro 9 or Adobe Photo Shop (if someone has photo shop for adobe, please help me with that one) THANKS a lot

help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :P

hhmmm, sorry jrzycrim but i don't really understand what to do.  can you or someone in this forum give me a detailed set of instructions i can follow to make my XP PRO SP 2 boot up screen look like normal with the version under Windows XP.  I will be using Paint Shop Pro 9 or Adobe Photo Shop (if someone has photo shop for adobe, please help me with that one) THANKS a lot

Let's make this simple. Download the appropriate Kernel. Extract it. Rename it to newkrnl.exe. Copy it to Windows\system32\

Open a command prompt, enter:

attrib -r -s -h boot.ini

notepad boot.ini

In notepad, you should see something like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Don't worry if it's not exactly the same.

Select and copy the last line:

[boot loader]timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Paste what you copied at the end:

[boot loader]timeout=30

[operating systems]

Edit the last line like so:

[boot loader]timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Test" /fastdetect /kernel=Newkrnl.exe

Hit CTRL-S to save and reboot. You will now have a boot menu. Select Windows XP test and see if the new kernel works. If it does, you can edit the boot.ini file and remove the original OS entry:

If it doesn't work, then you still have the option to reboot with the original kernel. This is the safe method as opposed to just replacing ntoskrnl.exe outright.

hey rzycrim. i followed all of your instructions however i still do not see the new one that says pro under it. whenever i boot up i get two startup options, each that say "Windows XP Professional" (none say test). I tried both of them and they both are the same. what do you think the problem is? which kernel should i have downloaded? because i downloaded the second one. do you think that is the problem? thank you very much

this is what i have:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=Newkrnl.exe