more features in IMs

prathapml

Well, I was seeing what other IMs exist the other day......

I came across gAIM - it is a win32 port of the linux IM for chat networks. It uses plugins to add features/support for networks. Its able to connect to even more networks than trillian. I particularly like the feature where its able to tell you when your chatting partner has closed the conversation window!

Anyone's who's heard of unconventional IM-clients, please post them here. :D

But since I'm not normally communicating on these new-fangled IMs (MSN/yahoo, etc. - I far prefer IRC), I've not explored very much under their hood.

I'd like to know, is there any way to know what IM client the person u r talking to is using? (something similar to the browser identification tag?)

And anyway to see if a person is actually offline or whether you are just blocked?

Well, its a privacy issue and a person is entitled to his/her privacy, but still this is just for the sake of curiosity.

That's nice dude. :)

Could all you people who visit this thread add to this list of third-party IM clients for yahoo/MSN, and multi-protocol IM suites when you come across any?

1. Trillian - known to be the best multi-protocol IM client for windows (but commercial)

2. gAIM - a good cross-platform open-source multi-protocol client

3. aMSN cross-platform client for MSN

4. Gilly Messenger

5. Ur Messenger

6. Miranda IM - opensource and multi-protocol

7. Messenger 2 - multi-protocol IM client

Messenger2 is another one. I've used GAIM quite often. Unfortunately it still lacks a few things that I prefer so I still just use each individual messenger. Overall, Messenger2 shows the best promise if their development speed keeps up. GAIM shows good progress but I don't think they have the intentions for hte program that I'd like to see better implimented.

I used to use GAIM. I used it while I was on Linux. Unlike "newdles" who states that (s)he requires features, I am the exact opposite - all I need is a basic messenger, something that simply allows me to communicate, end of story. Example: file transfer? I'll have someone upload it to my FTP. Maybe I'll try MirandaIM seeing as how it's also open source....

And anyway to see if a person is actually offline or whether you are just blocked?

I don't think so. The closest thing that comes to mind is this, but that's only for users who set their status to "invisible" or something. You could always log on with another account that the user doesn't know about and add them to see (unless they set to "block all users not on list").

Messenger2
Thanks for mentioning. Added it to the list.

@tak

Well, that link you have in your post above - seems good, but its only for the AIM protocol. The others who use other IMs can't use that tool. Hopefully you (or someone else) will come acroos a tool that has thiis feature exposed to them.