search limit

_Shorty

would it really create that much more load if you reduced the search limit on words from four characters to three characters? It's kind of hard to find information on things like AVG or SP2 or many other things because the search pukes on you for not using four or more characters.

I agree about that.

I do know that simply searching for "SP2" will throw a few hundred threads, but there are times when it is useful. For example, when SP2 had got released, if you wanted to search for all threads with "RTM" - you simply couldn't! And there's lots more acronyms too, that are just 3 letters across.

@_shorty

hey dude, one workaround I can recommend is to use that 3 letter term alongwith another term - for example, search for "SP2 AND windows".

On the other hand, if the lower limit for search-string size was reduced, you might find that hundreds of threads will show up for a 3-letter search. And that's not being very good to the bandwidth at the server end, and to the processing resources. Nor would it be very easy for your eyes to scan for what you want in that truck-load of search-results. But yes, the "Ctrl+F" feature of your browser comes in handy to auto-search within results - just use the word you'd "Ctrl-F" for in the search box as an additional term - therefore getting around the 4 letter limit.

But then, there are times when you'd want to search for all topics in a certain time-period, by a certain member for a 3 letter word. For example, you want to search for all posts "newer than 90 days" made by "Aaron" that contain the word "SP2". You find that you can't! Whereas being able to do so, would be useful - searching for posts by a specific person that contain a 3-letter words will not return nearly as much of useless results.

@everybody

yah... yah.... there I go again, voicing a meaningless mass of words which argue both, for AND against a subject. :lol: Seems to be too much of a compulsive obsession in my brain to mention the pros and cons of anything.....

Those of us who've been around here for a long time know how to search for what we want and get it. But sometimes, there is a case for considering what shorty has suggested.

Hey everybody - as xper says above, there's another way.

You can't search for terms/words/acronyms that are smaller than 4 characters, right?

In such cases, just use the search field at the top of the page (its there in every page). The search I'm referring to is the "Google" search bar that you see below the toolbar that shows what member-name you're logged-on as. Its as simple as that. Use the forum's own search function for detailed searches, and for any special needs, there's the google search function integrated right into the page! :)