Good antivirus for SP2?

X-Ecutioner

I installed a slipstreamed SP2 copy of WinXP pro on my laptop. Norton 2003 + SP2 = no liveupdate. Symantec is taking their sweet time with a compatibility patch for NAV. Are there any other antivirus programs that work well with SP2?? Anyone have any success stories?

There are FAR better review resources for antiviruses than CNET. There's magazines and websites dedicated to just that. Testing evey AV to see if it catches all of the last 100 wild viruses out there, scanning speeds and such. (Norton is always at the very bottom of the list - marked as "to avoid").

To do a recommendation... Well, nothing beats choosing yourself. Personally, I stick to Kaspersky. Nobody can tell what IS the best, just what their opinion is (and there's a lot of personnal preferences in play here) Most people seem to use norton av (otherwise McAfee) because they know the name, and people tend to stick to names/brands they know well (even if it's one of the worst options really).I suggest you google for independant tests/reviews/certifications of antiviruses. It just might open your eyes :) Last I read, Norton missed about one out of every four viruses and was also the slowest in terms of scanning speed... And their new activation thing is highly annoying.

i first used norton and realized how much slower my system ran. then i tried panda and used it for a while until i realized that it wasnt picking up some viruses when i would just download them to test if it would work. then i used mcaffe and i liked it, but i didn't like that it has ads trying to get u to download new mcaffe products in its security center. i then tried AVG and it seemed to cheap for my preference. I then looked to cnet and found that the one program that (in the last 2 years) has go the highest score for virus caching (100) and takes the least toll on your system performance is PC-Cillin. So I tried it, and I believe it is the best. pc-cillin catches every virus and neutrizles them right away. if i go to a webpage (i have cable) as soon as the site tries to load (if it has a virus) pc-cillin picks it up in an instant. i can hardly notice that it is ever running because it takes up almost no system resources!

is it manditory  to do License Renewal for (nod)

Do you mean to continue to get updates be it software or virus defs? You need your username/password to download virus defs and to get commercial version updates so at the end of your 1 year license you're dead in the water w/o renewing.

rotjong

I installed a slipstreamed SP2 copy of WinXP pro on my laptop. Norton 2003 + SP2 = no liveupdate. Symantec is taking their sweet time with a compatibility patch for NAV. Are there any other antivirus programs that work well with SP2?? Anyone have any success stories?

I use Norton before and use SP2, and Norton had a update for SP2. What version of Norton where you using?

NAV sucks. 

The best antivirus program is Trend Micro PC-Cillin.  It doesn't slow down your computer at all.  It got the highest review for an antivirus program on cnet.

The last time I used that, it screwed up my computer... I had to manually delete everything, registry and everything... :wacko: