prathapml

Do you have a Gmail account?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Gmail account?

• Yes
    • No
    • What is Gmail?

• 3 weeks later...
# Not just any old computer. Actually, yes, any old computer!

Basic HTML view lets you access your Gmail messages from almost any computer running almost any web browser, even old ones (not just IE5.5+, Mozilla, and Safari). Especially great for traveling, since you never know what kind of browser that internet café in Siberia is going to have.

Great!

Now my opera8 which actually supported Gmail is being told that it doesn't and is sent to the basic UI. :mad:

Hate it? no problem, add this argument to the site, and login - you're back to the old JS interface.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?nocheckbrowser

# Not just any old computer. Actually, yes, any old computer!

Basic HTML view lets you access your Gmail messages from almost any computer running almost any web browser, even old ones (not just IE5.5+, Mozilla, and Safari). Especially great for traveling, since you never know what kind of browser that internet café in Siberia is going to have.

Great!

Now my opera8 which actually supported Gmail is being told that it doesn't and is sent to the basic UI. :mad:

Hate it? no problem, add this argument to the site, and login - you're back to the old JS interface.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?nocheckbrowser

Well.. well.. *cough* use Firefox or any other :blink:

opera does not follow standards. :lol:

Well.. well.. *cough* use Firefox or any other  :blink:

opera does not follow standards.  :lol:

Opera is the most standards-compliant browser out there! Actually its google who are not complying to standards (click link). But well, lets not bring browser-wars into this topic - you already know we have another thread running on the same subject. :P

And FYI, I do use firefox, but there's no need for Gmail to force me to not use what I prefer.

they will also limit the browser that CAN access gmail.

Not possible.

Its in their interest that we login to the webmail and see the ads.

If they began limiting the browser, then I'd totally move off to access Gmail only with my thunderbird (mail-client). :P

im speaking of the loong term consequences. take MS for example, they've made us all so dependent on windows and MS office products.

Its like "hotel califonia" ...you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave. :)

does anybody know if google has rights and access to our mailbox content?

does anybody know if google has rights and access to our mailbox content?

They have access to it anytime, if they wish, but their privacy statement covers all your fears. Your mails and privacy are your own mails and privacy.

As for longterm, I wouldn't be worried. Google has made a living out of the principle of "don't be evil", and all the love they get is their benefit in return.

• 2 weeks later...

I support prathapml's words as well not because i love google but because the proof of good reliable service is right before your eyes and i don't think they'll just "screw our privacy" without any care! :rolleyes:

na, i meant no offence, just that i had a friend working at a popular email based company and mentioned that google has access to the vast knowledge as to what web users are surfing and mailing each other and all that stuff....and in the corporate world knowledge is power and money.

b'cause i myself use gmail for emails (thatz the reason i got hooked on this site in the first place :) )...msn and yahoo id's just for chatting.