OEM COPY OF WINDOWS XP

Primal

pretty cool, but ive no reason to try it, might be very usefull to some folks tho, i thought "no shouting" was turned on for posts anyhoo.. oh well ill go turn it back on., :)

welcome to the board primal :rolleyes:

Most OEM's utilize a BIOS checking in the install routine for the OS - if the BIOS says OEM NAME, then the OS will install without activation being required (this utilizes a set of files called SLP files). If the OEM OS is installed on a system without the correct text string in the BIOS - activation will be triggered.

LS

:)

Cool, then someone could make a bios flasher, that would just change the Maker of the Bios name, to that of the oem copy you have, and flash the bios, And get around the WHOLE, Activation and everything Cool...

HAHA ! Microsoft

• 1 month later...

In theory it sounds logical..but well in reality it will not be practicle...since from now on like when you have to flash your bios to a higher one...and flashing bios's without something like BIOS SAVER installed is not recommended..I have lost 1 board due to a bad flash...and sometimes just the little addition let us just say changing a dell to a gateway...Gateway has to have a picture plus the additional letters...on some systems will actually cause the bios to be too big...the dell logo is small while the Gateway logo is big...so something you might not have considered..

that app sounds handy "BIOS SAVER" ill look on google for it might be usefull :)

redvamp.. couldnt you just buy a new bios for it. if its a new or useable board its worth the £10 or so it will cost.. or pull one of an older machine so long as the chip and bios make match it should work and be flashable.

The problem with that board ...is that it was a transitional board...and the latest bios is incomattible with the board...and I cannot find anywhere that has the old bios...the board is a TYAN S1855 which tyan only made around 500 of the boards and adopted the TYAN S1857 instead...It has 2 Isa 5pci agp PGA370 as well as a Slot 1 and 4 dimm slots...the Tyan S1857 has 3 dimm slots but has 6 pci instead...and it has onboard sound and video...

Oh the bios savor is around 30$us and fits under your original bios...and it has a bios transfer program..and then you remove your old bios chip and run off of it...That is the beauty behind it....It saves your original incase of problems is very handy if you ...Like to overclock thru the bios....or change the bios...since if you bad flash it...all you have to do is move a jumper...and then run the bios tansfer again...and then remove your original...

I wish though that I had known...about it before I flashed that board...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand....It will only work with Gateway Bios that are after a certain date....and only with certain motherboards...the way it works is that when Xp is first setup...when it checks the system....I think for PNP bios values....and it finds this value...and then it compares it with its master list in the installer...and then the installer generates the already activated file (WPA) I think is what the file file is...and it installs...but it still will ask you if you want to register with M$...Now Registration does differ from Activation...

or so that is how I understand the process to work.