problem with unattended boot screen kernel

using ntoskrnl.exe from themexp.org is simple. Open up the downloaded file in ResourceTuner or ResHack and save the bitmap. Then open up your kernel, and do what you do with other images.

As for editing the palette, that's the simple thing. I never muddled with the progress bar though.....

using ntoskrnl.exe from themexp.org is simple. Open up the downloaded file in ResourceTuner or ResHack and save the bitmap. Then open up your kernel, and do what you do with other images.

As for editing the palette, that's the simple thing. I never muddled with the progress bar though.....

yea, sometimes they include the bitmaps separately. convinent. that palettes issue isn't though

The biggest problem was with the ntkrnlmp.exe. Didn't know where any of the offsets for the palette or the progress bar positions were. Fortunately I was able to find them anyway.

The OEMkrnl.exe definitely works. Tested fine on my system. I'm pretty sure the dualkrnl works as well. At least the progress bar and palette are correct. You'll have to test it on your computer.

Heres the 7zip SFX: http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/Pirated.exe

You know where to place both kernels on your cd. To test the dualkrnl, place it in your system32 directory on your computer then run this cmd file:

bootcfg /copy /D "Windows XP Pirated Test" /ID 1
bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=dualKrnl.exe" /A  /ID 2
bootcfg /Timeout 30
bootcfg /Default /ID 2

That will add an extra line to your boot.ini and set the timeout to 30 seconds. In case it doesn't work that will give you a chance to reboot with the original kernel. Only run that batch once. If it does work, you can go back in and edit the boot.ini. change the timeout back to zero so you won't get the menu anymore.

If it does work, I'll post all the offsets in that other thread...

You would have to edit the palette with a hex editor. You would also have to know exactly what the values for the palette of your image are. The kernel stores the palette and the image separately. Unless you leave the progress bar in the same position, you would have to edit those as well. Another thing, the progress bar and the main image share the same palette so you would have to create an image for that as well. Both are limited to 4 bit (16 color).

IT WORKS! :w00t: THANKS SO MUCH alanoll and jrzycrim!!!

Cool. I wasn't worried about the Oemkrnl. I knew that one worked.

Bootscreen modders were big on using 1224 version of ntoskrnl claiming it would work with the 'upcoming' Service pack 2. Of course we know now that ain't true. Had to find an origianl 1224 version before I could figure out were the palette and p-bar postions were in that old pirated edition kernel. :rolleyes:

What you could have done....

is open up the bitmap in Photoshop or something, write down the hex values, flip them, and then in the new kernel locate the strings for the ORIGINAL pallete, and just overwrite. Same with the progress bar. You just need to know the position to put it.