problem with unattended boot screen kernel

EDIT::

You said fifteen minutes. Are you starting the install from the very start everytime?

wat else can i do?

well, a simple search in your virtual system would tell you. It's in C:\boot.ini (figure out how to copy it)

As for other ways, you could ahve taken a snap shot, then started from there each time, instead of going through the whole reformat, copy process.

here it is:

[boot loader]timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

boot.ini

oh my.....

that's.....just bad.....

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=dualkrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If this test is done in VMware, the result should resemble THIS.

How are you testing the batch file? are you just double clicking it in your current install or something (won't work)?

oh my.....

that's.....just bad.....

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=dualkrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If this test is done in VMware, the result should resemble THIS.

How are you testing the batch file? are you just double clicking it in your current install or something (won't work)?

yea, i got frustrated. that's prob why there's so many /kernel things. i install again

and i thought vmware doesn't have hyperthreadign

yes, do start from SCRATCH again (ie. use VMware or VirtualPC and reinstall the OS reformating the virtual drive)

It doesn't. That's what the batch file gets around. Just disregard the hyperthreading fact. Your files look fine (took 17 minutes to download), just reinstall the ENTIRE OS before saying it doesn't work. The batch file also allows that if you use the SAME CD on an Athlon system and a P4 (or virtual system) then the bootscreen still gets applied correctly, using the proper kernel.

yes, do start from SCRATCH again (ie. use VMware or VirtualPC and reinstall the OS reformating the virtual drive)

It doesn't. That's what the batch file gets around. Just disregard the hyperthreading fact. Your files look fine (took 17 minutes to download), just reinstall the ENTIRE OS before saying it doesn't work. The batch file also allows that if you use the SAME CD on an Athlon system and a P4 (or virtual system) then the bootscreen still gets applied correctly, using the proper kernel.

ok. i'll do it again. but this boot.ini was taken from an install with the settings in that $$.rar that u dled. so will it be any different?

EDIT::

You said fifteen minutes. Are you starting the install from the very start everytime?

wat else can i do?

well, a simple search in your virtual system would tell you. It's in C:\boot.ini (figure out how to copy it)

As for other ways, you could ahve taken a snap shot, then started from there each time, instead of going through the whole reformat, copy process.

where do i take the snapshot?

new boot.ini:

[boot loader]timeout=0

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

boot screen is still same old default :angry:

If you placed oemkrnl.exe and dualkrnl.exe in $OEM$\$$\System32, then it should be working. On your VM, check and see if those two files are there and are properly modified.

Oh, did you wait and see if they worked on the second boot?

Alright step by step.....

1. Grab ntoskrnl.ex_ and ntkrnlmp.ex_ from your I386 diretory. Copy them to another folder. Open a command prompt to that folder and type

expand ntoskrnl.ex_ OEMkrnl.exe
expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ Dualkrnl.exe

2. Edit the kernel files the way you want.

3. Create the CMD file with the script it in. Save that in $OEM$\$$\ and call it bootscreen.cmd (full path would be %XPCD%\$OEM$\$$\bootscreen.cmd with %XPCD% being the path to your XP setup folder. At the same time, copy your two kernel files to this location as well.

4. In your winnt.sif file, add this....

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemroot%\bootscreen.cmd

5. Recreate image and test.

And before you think  something hasn't worked yet (the bootscreen hasn't changed). Once the desktop loads, try restarting and see if it appears then. If not, copy the boot.ini file here.

they're in windows, just like wat alonoll told me to do. both are in there, as well as bootscreen.cmd

Try this. Boot into your current installation on your virutal machine. move oemkrnl.exe and dualkrnl.exe into system32. (for the virtual machine, only oemkrnl.exe matters). If it works then on your unattended CD, move both oemkrnl.exe and dualkrnl.exe to $OEM$\$$\System32 and make a new ISO. don't change or move anything else, just the two krnl files.