Win XP Logon Screen

Xavier

Having tried unsuccessfully to network my laptop and desktop (both running XP) by using the network wizard I am left with (what I believe) is the netware logon screen - black screen with a small logon box (similar to win nt) but without the wallpaper/logo. How do you return to the standard logon screen?

Has anyone else expierienced this?:wail:

You are networking your laptop and PC, correct?

What are the connections? Are you using NIC's to directly connect? Are you using NIC's and a hub or switch in between. Are you using a serial or parallel cable to connect the two machines?

By default, there are no "Netware" login windows. There should only be a Login box with a username and password. The Default should be "Client for Microsoft Network".

By the way if you read the Microsoft Help & Support (bundled with XP Pro) it states that you cannot Network XP pro to XP Pro!!!!!!

What is that about then - are you expected to get server to run a simple home network?

Views please?:mad:

Guest LouCypher

The private address range is 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254, it doesn't go pass 192.168.0.255 (which is reserve for broadcast messages).

The network address is 192.168.0.0

The netmask is 255.255.255.0

You usually set up your gateway machine as 192.168.0.1 and enter that IP on all the other machines that share an ICS connection. If you use ICS on the internet connected machine then make its ethernet adaptor static 192.168.0.1 and make the other machine use DHCP.

These won't conflict with any "real" assigned IP addresses.