Netmeeting RK vs XP pro

phenom

We want to deploy a repackaged Netmeeting installation that we build from the Nm3Rk (Netmeeting resource Kit) but when we run the package on a windows XP OS, it returns the following message : "This version of NetMeeting doesn't run on this version of Windows"

The funny thing is that when we run conf.exe Netmeeting 3.01 configuration wizard fires up and everything can be configured succesfully.

I heard that there is a workaround for that issue with XP and the Netmeeting Resource Kit, but I cant find it. Does anyone knows how to correct this ?

by the way the same package works fine on win2k pro

yes the netmeeting 3.01 that comes with the WinXP works beautifully but the only way I can set it up is by running conf.exe from the start/run and go through the wizard steps.

I need to silently install Netmeeting that is why I need the resource kit wich is pretty simple to use.

Yeah you are right, some of Netmeeting features like conferencing and few other stuff are now integrated in messenger, and that is why Microsoft is no longer supporting Netmeeting on XP but, we need Netmeeting for Remote Desktop Sharing.

We are also using the XP remote desktop sharing but this XP tool doesnt let you gain control of an active XP session unless the user invites you. In netmeeting you can gain control of an active session to troubleshoot a problem so we want to deploy this repackaged Netmeeting installation.

I am sure that it's possible to tweak the registry in XP so we can deploy this Netmeeting install there is a known work around that I obviously cant find.

It's not an incompatibility issue that is for sure, it's more like Microsoft doesnt let you deploy Netmeeting on XP because they wont support it.

I found a way to deploy the Netmeeting configurations but its not with the resource kit. There are 2 way to do it, the first is by using GPO either locally or from the 2003 ADS, in the user section of GPO snapin you will find the Netmeeting policies in the windows components and you can set about everything in there. The other option is to use AUTO-IT, where you can script all the mouse clic and keystroke event into an executable and from there you can deploy it on all your machines.

conclusion : the resource kit is not working at all on WIN XP pro :no: