do you own a dvd burner?

do you own a dvd burner?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. do you own a dvd burner?

• yes
    • no
    • going to buy one soon
    • not a change of getting one

i would like to see how many people these days own dvd burners, and if i should buy one to make music back ups

thats "not a chance of getting one"

Edited by sven

I dont own one yet but at the rate of their price drop ill prbly considering buying one shortly.

I perfer HDD back up but right now at PC CLUB (where i work) you can get a 12x +/- LiteOn for 70 bucks!

The price is just too good to pass up

|Drew|

I'm already on my 3rd DVD burner, and soon 4th :) (and I''ve stopped counting CD burners a while back)

I don't know of any friend/close family member without one. (ok, except maybe grandma :lol: )

I call it a necessity nowadays.I don't use it to backup video DVDs (movies), but 99% for data DVDs. The discs read a lot faster (talking about kb/s), they make less noise when spinning, the media is under half the price of CDs (talking in MB/$, not actual unit price)... And it's a lot less hassle to burn it all on one disc rather than having to handle/swap/write on/burn 6+ CDRs for the same thing. Disc swapping is just annoying. Also, all my unattended setups are on DVDs (so you can toss a windows AIO and everything else you want to on the same disc). Also, since the DVD contains as much data as around 6 CDs, it takes much less space to store them all (a 200 CD wallet filled with DVDs contain as much as *many* spindles of CDRs hehehe)

I find that "waiting", in the computer industry is pretty much futile. By the times the fast/dual layers/... (and the media) will be cheap, we'll be starting to buy blue ray writers or such. There's always gonna be something better/faster out there no matter what... Even the 4x single format-one layer burners served me very well already. Just like, did anyone waited for CD burners to hit 52x to buy one? I hope not because they've missed most of it's useable life since we're all moving to DVDs now (and pretty fast too). Something that is fast, mature and cheap is usually getting close to be replaced/obsolete.