XP pro oem Setupp.ini Pid

Meat_PoPsiclez

I just made myself a slipstream sp2 xp cd with nlite, and while I was at it I changed the pid on my cd, and now I can't activate. So, I'm going to have to reinstall again... but here's the trick. I've never had an original oem windows xp pro cd.. I have a stack of licences from salvaged computers but no cd. I made my own previously using

Pid=55276OEM and that worked before, but being an upgrade-oem pid.

I changed it when I made my new cd (sick of providing my 2k disc) to

Pid=51882OEM and that failed to activate, being a retail-oem.

What's the proper pid for a true oem cd? I'm looking for one that will definitely work with sp2. Will my upgrade-oem pid work under sp2 (worked on sp1)? If I change it to a true oem-oem pid would I lose the ability to upgrade? I'm trying to keep as much flexibility in installation options open here since I have 6 licenses and no idea where 4 of those are going to eventually end up. I really don't want to (can't) lose the ability to do upgrade installs.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Meat_PoPsiclez, I don't know if you are still having issues with this but activation of OEM licenses is always needed unless you have the original CD that came with your Dell/HP/Compaq/etc PC. These CD's contain a number of files that verify the brand/type of PC using bios checks (this can be problematic if you update your bios in some cases). It is however possible to build an OEM licensed disc that will activate on install. I plan on posting a tutorial here soon and will post a link on this thread when i do :)

Unfortunatley though OEM licensing does bind the license to the PC it was initially supplied with and there is no way of automating OEM activation without at least knowing the brand of the intended PC for it to be installed on. Sorry I couldn't help more.

@majormashup - Not necessarily. There is such a thing as a "Generic OEM" that works on any PC and is not PC-locked. AFAIK, this is used by System Builders via Sysprep (may be and probably am wrong about that) wherein the key is changed to a unique key for licensing purposes. Certain files may also be replaced to lock them to the PC/vendor. And, BTW, don't bother with a tutorial... there's already one on MSFN (look around!).

FWIW, all versions (excluding VLK/VOL), must be activated anyhow. There's a possibility that the Upgrade CD you're using is a Retail CD (you had stated you "made your own"). And I must point out that there's a limit to the number of times you can activate a given key within a certain period of time.

There's a way/software to test the keys in your collection for what type it is, but I can't tell you that (against the rules and illegal). The only thing you can do is try different combos and test them each.

Also go here -
[url="http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs"]http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs[/url]
for a usually accurate and up-to-date list and description of Product-ID's.

Lastly, there is a method of changing the "type" of install (within group, i.e. Home, Pro, etc.) by copying certain files from the Service Packs (info in the SP; figure it out yourself; sorry...) then modifying the SETUPP.INI. Also depends on what SP-level you start at (I think...).

HTH, and have fun constructing them (BTW, if it's not a complete CD, you may have problems).

And be careful, everyone, that you don't tread on the forum rules! Edited by submix8c

[quote name='jaclaz' post='819245' date='Dec 15 2008, 02:05 PM']I'm sure the OP will be relieved by having his problems solved after more than 4 years...:whistle:

jaclaz[/quote]DOH!!! "Pay attention, dude" (says to self sheepishly :blushing: ). Who searches these things up and posts to them? Dumb-a@@'s like me! (No, didn't search this, just found it in the Active Topics).

Ennyhoo, clarified a misstatement by majormashup (new to the forum, apparently).

Sorry, Jac, will pay more attention here-on-out. ;)

Edited by submix8c