Guide For Compressed Drivers Unattended Install

serialzs

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself.

But serialzs method is for people using winnt.sif, which I don't, so it has it's place.

It is just adding to the options you have nowadays when creating an unattended install (thanks to msfn! :) ).

--

Pyron

it will work for raid/sata...the thing about txtsetup is that the drivers you use for that do not get used by the GUI...or at least in my experience, it doesnt...you would have to use a combination of txtsetup raid/sata and this guide.

@dazkrlauwste: i think catalyst drivers are quite impossible to install even from the manual OemPnPDriversPath method. so i suppose, nothing is different from here. although i wonder what would be WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe use if the Catalyst is still prevented from being installed.

@evilvoice: yes, in some ways it will work with 3rd party SATA drives. but only IF you're installing XP on a normal IDE drive, then an installed SATA controller and its drives are recognized. otherwise, to directly install XP on a SATA device, you may have to use this method in conjunction at embedding SATA controllers on your XP setup via XPCreate or probably this method.

afaik, RyanVM once released a batch file (w/c inspired Bashrat) that pre-updates your XPCD's list of supported SATA/RAID controllers. but this method seem to impose stability issues on quite a couple of setups.

I tested this method yesterday with no success. Actually, none of my .7z files were decompressed during install.

After some research in 7z help file, I came to the same conclusion as Bâshrat the Sneaky. So I renamed 7za.exe to 7z.exe, compressed it and replaced the old one in i386. And guess what ? Drivers are now decompressed. B)

Now, the only problem is that they didn't get installed in vmware :unsure: , but I assume this is because my vmware.7z driver file is not the same version as the software I'm using...

I will test it in "real world" tonight and keep you informed tomorrow.

I tested this method yesterday with no success. Actually, none of my .7z files were decompressed during install.

After some research in 7z help file, I came to the same conclusion as Bâshrat the Sneaky. So I renamed 7za.exe to 7z.exe, compressed it and replaced the old one in i386. And guess what ? Drivers are now decompressed.  B)

Now, the only problem is that they didn't get installed in vmware  :unsure: , but I assume this is because my vmware.7z driver file is not the same version as the software I'm using...

I will test it in "real world" tonight and keep you informed tomorrow.

Good work!

I hope Serialzs will edit his guide soon.

Just wondering, I have to keep old win9x drivers for my printer since I put it on a LAN with other nonXP systems. If I install my drivers your way, 1- where will they be on my HD after installation if I need to browse the driver wizard so he could find them when I will share my printer? and 2- if they are not on the c:, are they reachable on the cd or the wizard wont find em if they are .7z files?

Thanks.

drivers not getting decompressed in vmware?

any idea???????

what happens is i see DRIVERZ\root of all folders that need to get decompressed but no subfolders

exanple:

C:\DRIVERZ\VGA

C:\DRIVERS\VMWARE

C:\DRIVERZ\NETWORK

but no subfolders

i am using the 7za.ex_

please help anyone is this vmware problem or anybody made it decompress the subfolders too?

drivers not getting decompressed in vmware?

any idea???????

what happens is i see DRIVERZ\root of all folders that need to get decompressed but no subfolders

exanple:

C:\DRIVERZ\VGA

C:\DRIVERS\VMWARE

C:\DRIVERZ\NETWORK

but no subfolders

i am using the 7za.ex_

please help anyone is this vmware problem or anybody made it decompress the subfolders too?

1. issue in VMWare

2. please use the updated version...