Adobe Reader 6.02 silent install

Thanks for the useful info, evilvoice. It's probably something like the eBook plugin.

However, if that were the case, ARSU shouldn't need a special tweak to disable wisptis like it does, since it disables pretty much every plugin from loading.

Well, if the the Wipstis service/app. is used only when one uses Adobe reader or

msoffice or what-have-we, I dont think its worth the hassle to remove it.

If it would be an extra service or application that would auto-start when you start the windows,

then I'd have a problem with it and would try to remove it.

I dont like stuff that adds to strarting the pc.

Why on earth every program these days adds crap on autostart by default,

I dont know, but it does suck imo.

actually, the tweak for adobe isnt technically FOR adobe...its for removing wisptis altogether...you can apply the same tweak with or without adobe on your machine and have the same effect...just the adobe people are bitching about it to a great degree, which is why its called a fix for adobe...it could technically be called a wisptis fix...personally, if it were me, I would remove journal viewer and delete wisptis from office, and go on my merry way...which i may do...i actually found a "wisptis.exe" file that doesnt load...but journal viewer cries and wont run unless you replace it...which HEY RYANVM...care to remake journal viewer and see if we can add this edited wisptis to the source and see what happens? I dunno if you add an edited file if it will still complain about not having the real version of wisptis or not...

Anyone knows what is the difference between the basic and full version?

I do. This is not the full version of Adobe Acrobat. The full version can create PDF's, intregrates with Office for PDF creation, etc. This is just the bloatware version of Adobe Reader that incorporates ebook library. Just a few more plugins to slow it down.

The regular Reader is all that is needed.

B)

I present to you guys my unattended Adobe Reader 6.0.2 installer. It features the following:

1.) 6.0.2 update completely integrated into the package

2.) PrintMe addin completely removed from the package

3.) Numerous registry tweaks, including: no splash screen, no EULA prompt, no ad bar, and more

4.) Only one shortcut created on the start menu (none on desktop)

5.) Switchless 7z self extractor (runs the embedded MSI file with the /qb switch)

6.) 14.9MB vs 34.7MB

Wow, great work!

This is my first post, but I'm a faithful reader! You guys (and girls!) are all very good!

There's just one thing: I would really like having the same thing with the French version of Adobe Reader 6.0.2, without PrintMe and stupid shortcuts, and with the registry tweaks. Is there any way that you could describe everything that you did, so I could replicate it with the French version?

Thanks!

Wow, great work!

This is my first post, but I'm a faithful reader!  You guys (and girls!) are all very good!

There's just one thing: I would really like having the same thing with the French version of Adobe Reader 6.0.2, without PrintMe and stupid shortcuts, and with the registry tweaks.  Is there any way that you could describe everything that you did, so I could replicate it with the French version?

Thanks!

Yeah, I would like to know how to do too, to create an italian version of the package (when it will become available).

Kind Regards

Your talking about two different programs, one is Adobe Acrobat the other is just a reader. The non-reader version is packed with the ability to create PDF's, but the reader-only version only will read those PDF's. Yes the reader-only incorporates "junkware" but it also incorporates into IE, Mozilla, etc. and includes plug-ins to view things that the non-reader doesn't need plug-ins to do, as it's all incorporated into the full program.

There are two versions of the installer for Reader. The basic downloads everything from Adobe's website, the full version has everything in it so you only have to download it once, and you would want to have the full version for putting on a CD/DVD install so your not trying to download everything from the internet when you install it. It just saves time and headaches in the future when installing.

i actually found a "wisptis.exe" file that doesnt load...but journal viewer cries and wont run unless you replace it...which HEY RYANVM...care to remake journal viewer and see if we can add this edited wisptis to the source and see what happens?  I dunno if you add an edited file if it will still complain about not having the real version of wisptis or not...
:lol:, adding different files to the MSI package is nothing I haven't done before :P

I've actually removed Journal Viewer from my install source. I decided that the odds of my ever using it were so slim that it was just a waste of space. But yes, it should be quite doable to replace wisptis with an edited version. Got a link?

There's just one thing: I would really like having the same thing with the French version of Adobe Reader 6.0.2, without PrintMe and stupid shortcuts, and with the registry tweaks. Is there any way that you could describe everything that you did, so I could replicate it with the French version?
Yeah, I would like to know how to do too, to create an italian version of the package (when it will become available).
The problem is that I don't see full French or Italian 6.0.2 version yet. The reason this matters is because the normal 6.0.2 patch uses an MSI file (rather than an MSP file which would greatly simplify things :rolleyes:) to update Adobe Reader. I haven't figured out how to apply two MSI files to the same administrative install point, so patching it is a no-go for the time being.

Many of the full versions (but not all, to make things even more complicated) use an MST (transform) file with a second CAB archive to install 6.0.2 as the 6.0.1 MSI is run (yes, all they did was run the 6.0.1 with a transform - pretty cheap if you ask me). Thankfully, with that case you can create an administrative install point with the TRANSFORM=blah.mst switch, which creates the point with 6.0.2 integrated into it.

Like I said previously, some of the international full 6.0.2 editions actually have 6.0.2 integrated fully into them (I confirmed this with the Greek version, though it's pretty easy to tell just by the file size of the download). With those versions, they use their little proprietary FEAD installer for which I have yet to figure out the command switches for extracting the contents. Taking a quick peak at my Temp folders while setup was running didn't help (I found the extracted MSI, but none of the supporting files). If we could figure out how to extract the contents of the MSI, we could go ahead and make the edits to it that I made with likely very little trouble.

The problem is that I don't see full French or Italian 6.0.2 version yet.

On this page (link copied from the first post of the thread), I can see that there is a full version for French 6.0.2 (no Italian yet, though). I can confirm that the French full version was not on the page at the beginning of August, just a few weeks ago. At that time, I had to download the full version of 6.0.1 and the patch to upgrade to 6.0.2, just like the Italian version is today. But now, there is a French full version, which is 38.7 MB. This procedure can be found on page 4 of this thread:

1.) Download the full 6.0.2 redistributable (34.7MB)

2.) Extract it to a folder using WinRAR

3.) Rename the Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi file to acrobatreader.msi

4.) Rename Rdr6020.mst to 602.mst

5.) Run the follow command from a command prompt:

msiexec /a acrobatreader.msi TARGETDIR="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\reader" TRANSFORMS=602.mst

You can obviously change the path you want the install point going to at your discretion.

I'm downloading the French full version now to check if I can use this procedure on it, and I bet I can. And if I can, there's no reason the rest of your procedure (to remove PrintMe, keep only one shortcut and using the registry tweaks) won't work. I will try it and let you know. If it works, I would really appreciate the details of what you did to customize your admin point...

I'll be back!

RyanVM:

Just what I thought: it does work. I now have an administrative installation point for Adobe Reader 6.0.2 French. However, it still says 6.0.1 when I install (but the splash screen says 6.0.2), just like you had with the English version.

At the risk of repeating myself :P , if you could post what you did to customize your installation point, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot!

No, never. I'm new to this "Unattended installation" thing.

I just downloaded and installed WinINSTALL LE (still can't believe it's free) and looked around. I'm pretty sure I could figure it out (with the help files, of course), but if you could show me the right way, I'd appreciate it! I always say that the best way to learn is to go for it!

As for Orca, I searched for it and I have to download about 350 MB from Microsoft to get it? Is this really it?

Are both product needed? Or do they do the same thing, with different interfaces?

Thanks!