Change Location of Program Files

By means of an Unattended Setup with SP2, how can this be done?:

Have Windows install onto the 1st partition, and have "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" to be automatically mapped to the second partition. Both partitions are created before setup.

My reasoning behind this is: I can easily reformat the Windows partition without losing all of my data, because that will all be on another partition.

I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Don't mean to highjack, but I am having a similar problem. However, I added those line to the winnt.sif file as such:

[unattended]

ProgramFilesDir="D:\"

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="E:\"

However, when I attempt to install I receive fatal errors that setup cannot continue, and lists a couple of dll's that Windows "couldn't find". However, if I remove these entries from the winnt.sif it installs fine. I'm not editing anything else. Is there a way that I can install them to the partition, or do I have to specify a folder on the partition? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Don't mean to highjack, but I am having a similar problem. However, I added those line to the winnt.sif file as such:

[unattended]

ProgramFilesDir="D:\"

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="E:\"

However, when I attempt to install I receive fatal errors that setup cannot continue, and lists a couple of dll's that Windows "couldn't find". However, if I remove these entries from the winnt.sif it installs fine. I'm not editing anything else. Is there a way that I can install them to the partition, or do I have to specify a folder on the partition? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Did you test this on a real disk or on a virtual machine that did not have those partitions?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the real problem you have is caused by your partition not being formated.

In my Unattended installation, I do pretty much the same as you guys:

C:\Windows

D:\Program Files

E:\Documents and Setting

I have to partition and format the disk before my unattended setup (with Partition Magic) so it can work. Otherwise you get an error message before GUI in your unattended installation.

The reason is that Windows installation only format the destination drive of \Windows.

Later, I'll try to find a way to partition and format my drive without having to use Partition Magic... but for now I'll stick with it