Doom 3 sucks...I don't care what you all say

XPerties

i also think the game is overhyped..., don`t like it either..

the gameplay isn`t interessing.. only shooting..

the AI is terrible..

I find the game is not scary... , its much to dark, so you really can`t see much...

i mean.. look at the shadow of a PDA..thats just.....BLACK....

thats no shadow..thats just making everything as dark as possible.. :wacko:

Well..anyways....

thats just my opion about the game...

so..lets hope HL2 won`t be as bad as doom3...

Haven't you given Doom 3 a chance by playing it a bit more? I was also the same as you when I didn't like the darkness for the first few levels, but it gets better later on with brighter areas.

You can also get a mod that will tape the flashlight onto your weapons :P

Yeah i saw that mod. I might give that a try.

And what's HL2?

well look at far cry kind of has a better ai ..

still i like doom 3

@deezire try a 5++.1 surround system :) then it gets a little scarier.

as said on the following levels it gets a little lighter and I've increased the brightness through nvidia display panel (well I increased gamma.)

@XPerties hl2 = half life 2 (long waited game :) )

Edited by XtremeMaC

XPerties -

Actually the game does give you the option to change its brightness (gamma), both in the console, as well as the menu's. I just do every thing in the console is all...my thing tho...most don't.

Also with most video drivers these days you can setup profiles that will be used when a certain game is started. So when a game starts its profile is loaded and brightness, contrast, RGB values are tweaked as the end user would like them to be. Once the game exits the profile is unloaded and video settings revert back to what they where orginally.

Well I'll give you the fact I have been rude and maybe even insulting, but the fact that you have not exercised proper control over your own system should not be the bases for disliking a game.

Yeah you can dislike the game...I have no real problem over that aspect or you stating so, but make sure the reasons why are the games fault and not your own.

Deezire -

heh well its probably going to require a lot of hope, if that source code leak is any sort of indication of the sorry state of affairs at Valve. One can only hope they will exercise their lic for the Q3 engine and start porting over large chunks of code.

I have hope for it....but that leak did paint a rather grim picture. :(

XtremeMaC -

Well I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there...since I haven't played any thing more than the demo for it....what I saw looked fine AI wise but still scripted, tho pathing was more than in most games.

Unreal far as I'm aware of still has the best AI...tho maybe thats changed.

@Nologic - My main pc which I use for gaming is also used to support over 510 clients every day. I also run 2 other companies, moderate 2 very busy forums. I do not have time to set my desktop up in a special manner for some game.

The game sucks, Plain and simple. Deal with my views, do not degrade them.

Thank you.

@XtremeMaC - Never played part 1. Have to look at this. Thanks.

erm

okay Xperties didn't like the game and he says he doesn't have much time to mess around with every option in the game. that's him and its u. different ppl, if everyone was the same that'd be boring right?

when u have 510 clients u have to monitor them for any questions they may ask, u've to set up things for new customers, and many more things. also the forums, since he's the head of the company, most ppl would expect him to answer questions in his forums. so that's taking quite a bit of time okay?

and I'd so much would like to see u ppl managing things like that, then find time to play games!

and I thing there is the difference in the ages. a high school student who has lots of time in his hands, lots of time to test all the new games can easily find time to change things around and maybe look for solutions in the web. but that changes when u're a businessman.

Interesting presumption you make there.

Instead of "high school" try inserting "consultant, teacher, tech" as for age...hmm don't know about him but I ring in at 34.

Regardless of the excuses made on his behalf, I find fault in opinions based purely on user error.

Doom 3 sucks...I don't care what you all say

hmm if any thing that strikes me as some thing, some one in high school would say.

Well thats my two cents worth.

What makes me laugh every time I visit this thread that I started with a simple statment is the arguing going back and forth about a game.

Please continue to argue my opinion back and forth. I find it hilarious. BTW do you have a ownership in Doom stock? :lol:

Well correct me if I'm wrong here...but it WAS your intent to start a flame thread was it not? I mean with the title of the thread such as it is....its a open invite for a flame session.

Then if that wasnt enough you toss out there the silly reasoning "I'm incompetent, and because of it the game sucks".

Thus followed by being proven incompetent, thus all the sudden the whole thread becomes "funny" in order to play off the fact you are incompetent.

Please tell me what drives people to be trolls, is there some kind of twisted enjoyment you find in this, or is it you just like to see people have as s***ty of a day as you are having or worse?

To answer your feeble question...no I do not own stock in id or Activision.

Now if it wasn't your intent to have a flame session....then maybe you should put a little more effort into thread naming....not to mention bring some thing more to the table and what you did......XtremeMaC gave a arguable example as to why the game maybe lacking...in that he stated that he felt after some game play the enities became predictable, in their placement. So at least he gave some meat to the subject....actually why is he even defending you?

I don't think theres any defending going on. I do know however your acting like such an a@@. My statement never once was posted at a certain individual but yet you continuously take stab at me personally.

Now you take it another step with a insult such as calling me "incompetent". This is what makes the internet so funny. Pricks like you who have fun trying to take personal stabs at people on forums, yet in life would keep driving when someone ask you to pull over to back up a middle finger you gave them.

Personal I won't lose sleep because my only reasoning behind starting this thread was to voice my opinion about something. It was never meant to ask for some guy such as yourself to make personal attacks.

Anyways if you prefer to continue this conversation such as attacking me personally please PM me so we can discuss this matter off the forums. If you prefer to continue speaking about how "the game" doesn't suck then please continue.

well look at far cry kind of has a better ai ..

still i like doom 3

@deezire try a 5++.1 surround system :) then it gets a little scarier.

as said on the following levels it gets a little lighter and I've increased the brightness through nvidia display panel (well I increased gamma.)

@XPerties hl2 = half life 2 (long waited game :) )

GOT a 5.1 surround system..

still.... i`m not impressed

I have to say, I agree with some of what Xperties has said. I, like many people was excited by the prospects offered by Doom 3. But unfortunately the experience has left me somewhat cold. I enjoyed playing it, but it's definately one I probably will never go back to. Now my system is fairly high end, so there was no question of it being played on a lesser system. You have these lovely sumptuious graphics... ...only you don't because most of the time they are hidden by darkness. Yes I know you can adjust the gamma, but that's beside the point.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a bit of darkness in my games as much as the next man, but after a while it all got a little tiresome. Darkness overkill you might say. There is a section in the game where you get attacked by an Imp crawling on the ceiling, I would have liked to have seen more variety in their attacks like that. Instead 98% of them were on the ground or scripted to pop out from the floor, but usually only when you needed to go in to the space to access the next part of the complex.

The AI as many have said isn't very bright and I never got the feeling that I was facing an invasion from a hell dimension. It felt more like a casual outing.

I know Doom and Doom 2 are positively archaic now, but at least they gave an impression of facing almost insurmountable odds at times.

There is very little interaction with the environment. I'm not talking about the combination lock storage. Apart from the obligatory "Keycards" to activate specific consoles, there is very little else. Shoot out some glass from certain windows, shoot lights, power down a few terminals, so far, so ordinary. Ok sure so theres also that Super Turkey Puncher arcade, but that's worthy of about 5 seconds of attention.

We all enjoy the idea of free reign in games. Wondering to ourselves if we can press this or shoot that makes a game far more interesting. Doom 3 has literally dozens of bright shiny display screens but can you destroy them ?

can you heck!

And that's one of the problems. In a game like Doom 3 we live for the carnage and the destruction.

The PDA is one of the games saving graces. I must admit I found it very interesting listening to the audio reports of the staff and crew and reading their emails, even the spam. The use of it to gain information about locked doors or storage was a great idea and helped to make the game that much more entertaining.

As it stands Doom 3 is a great showcase for it's engine, it's just not a very good game. I look forward to seeing better examples by other developers utilizing said engine.

Now we have Half Life 2 just around the corner and I only hope it can live up to the expectations Valve and the press have forced upon it. I really hope it can, but after the letdown of Doom 3 I am much more cynical. With any luck it will deliver all that it has promised and then some.

hmm well actually I'm the kind of prick that would pull over. :) Do you live in the Seattle area? If so I could always swing by. :)

I'm also sure you didn't plan on some one calling BS on your arguement...you seem to be the type that expects only "yes sir's".

hmm I don't recall off hand ever saying the game didn't suck...just that your reasons for stating why you disliked it where flawed.

As for me stating your "incompetent" in the use of a computer...well thats simply a matter of perception based off the facts at hand. Its not a personal attack...hell I'm incompetent when it comes to flying a plane. ;)

I'm sure you won't lose any sleep over your statements....but you do seem to be worried about losing face...hence the PM me bit.

Take it personal if you like, I could careless...you have shown little worth, to earn my respect or concern.

I'm sure you won't lose any sleep over your statements....but you do seem to be worried about losing face...hence the PM me bit.

hahaha, It's obvious you don't read rules on the forums. Taking it to PM is a rule set in place and it would seem you won't be around these forums for very much longer since you don't care to follow rules.

Unfortunately I do not live in the Seattle area. South Jersey but you can always reach me at the company number listed on my site. Feel free to call me and if your ever in the area please do drop by. The company address is also listed on the website.