trouble editing bootscreen

using gosh's method, i tryed to edit muy bootscreen.

everything fails, if i do not use the ntoskrnl.exe from SP2, edit it, and rename it to oemkrnl.exe (if i use an older ntoskrnl or a custom one, windows wont boot, it only gives me an error mesage).

but if i use reshacker to replace the bitmaps, the new image is first loaded ok, but then its colors "go wrong".

its like when you save a 16 bits bitmap to a 256 color one.

how can i correctly edit the SP2 ntoskrnl.exe ?

post-70-1093127994_thumb.png

Sesshoumaru,

I am having the same problem. The SP2 ntoskrnl.exe has been changed and it effects the color palet causing the nasty color of the boot screen you discribed. I had use BootEditor, which was was easy and worked great, but it does not work with the SP2 ntoskrnl.

There has been some instructions on this site and others regarding using a HEX editor to change the values that are causing the problem but I have had no luck doing this. :wacko:

Info on editing XP SP2 boot screen

Boot screens on WindowsXP SP2, Palette color correction

Edit the Boot Logo & Boot Logo Palette in Windows XP

Hopefully, someone will come up with a remedy to easily change the XP2 boot screen once they have had a chance to play with it for awhile.

It would be great if BootEditor could be adjusted to work with the SP2 ntoskrnl but I do not think it is being supported any longer.

Good Luck