LHPE

fccdj

ok im just getting started in the Pe thing and i just got done excracting LHPE from my LH disk and i got it to where i can boot from it and it loads up just fine but i was woundering if there is a way i could put a start menu type option like in BART PE so my LHPE disk has a nicer look to it

does anyone know how to do this or know somewhere i could look for info on this

thanks in advance

I use blackbox in my PE sometimes very nice simple XML menu, also look into Geoshell. There are more also, but I have blackbox is the easiest and more reliable to work with. Off hand have you fixed the open file problem in LHPE? I have still not had a chance to look at it. This happens when you say run notepad from the cmd line i.e. notepad.exe then click file, open and nothing happens for me atleast, anyhow good luck.

Ok so now I am assuming you followed my guide on how to get LHPE, so these will be short and sweet. In step 4. of the original instructins it says that you should put in CMD.exe in the value data of the "cmdLine" in the setup key. Well here in this example you will put in "youFolder"\blackbox.exe as the value data instead.

Now to edit the menus you have to open up notepad or PrimalScript or something, the menu files are in Menus.RC this is where you need to edit to your paths of which programs you have where. Also the "tiles" are in the BBIcons.RC fil in the Plugins\BBIcons folder. All of these RC files have fairly good documentation about them included in the folder. The best way I can tell you is to screw with the menus and then use VPC to see if you like it and If not then rebuild it again.

Below is a sample of my older Menu.rc file, to get you started.

[begin] ()
  [exec]               (Explorer)                 {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\explorer.exe}
  [exec]  (Networking)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\I386\system32\startnet.cmd"}
  [exec]  (WSH/HTA/ADO)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\I386\system32\OC.CMD"}
  [nop]
  [submenu]            (Utilities)
     [run]             (Run)
     [exec]            (Command Prompt)           {cmd.exe}
     [exec]            (MetaPad)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\MetaPad\MetaPad.exe"}
     [exec]  (Virus Scan)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\McAfee\McAfee.bat"}
     [exec]            (RegEdit)                  {regedit.exe}
     [exec]  (Hex Editor)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\HexEdit\mpth_small.exe"}
     [exec]  (Password Renew)           {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\passwordrenew\passwdrenew.exe"}
     [exec]  (KeyFinder PE)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\KeyFinder\Keyfinderpe.exe"}
     [exec]  (PE Explorer)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\PartitionExplorer\PartitionExplorer.exe"}
  [end]
  [submenu]  (ERD Tools)
     [exec]  (Computer Management)      {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\compmgmt.cmd"}
     [exec]  (LockSmith)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\locksmith.cmd"}
     [exec]  (System Restore)    {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\systemRestore.cmd"}
     [exec]  (TCP Config)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\tcpcfg.cmd"}
     [exec]  (Regedit ERD)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\erdregedit.cmd"}
  [end]
  [submenu]  (Display)
     [exec]  (640 by 480)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Resolution\640.cmd"}
     [exec]  (800 by 600)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Resolution\800.cmd"}
     [exec]  (1024 by 768)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Resolution\1024.cmd"}
     [exec]  (1280 by 1024)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Resolution\1280.cmd"}
     [exec]            (1600 by 1200)     {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Resolution\1600.cmd"}
  [end]
  [submenu]            (blackbox)
     [restart]         (restart)
     [exit]            (quit)
  [end]
[end]

Note the formatting got hosed when inserted into this form.

ok so if i want to run this all from a cd i need to put all of the files i want on the cd and tell blackbox to go to lets say

%cdrom%\blackbox\programs\something.exe

is this correct

or should it be %systemdrive%\blackbox\programs\something.exe

also what does this line do

[exec] (Explorer) {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\explorer.exe}

ok so if i want to run this all from a cd i need to put all of the files i want on the cd and tell blackbox to go to lets say

%cdrom%\blackbox\programs\something.exe   

is this correct

or should it be %systemdrive%\blackbox\programs\something.exe 

Your cmdLine entry in setupreg.hiv should be something like

"yourPrograms"\blackbox\blackbox.exe

also what does this line do

[exec]            (Explorer)      {"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\ERD\explorer.exe}

This is parts of ERD Commander 2003 that I took from and just added it to my PE CD

sry but im still confused when i try this in VPC LH starts up then nothing displays and then it restarts how to i tell LH to start blackbox from the cd that the LH files are on not from my HDD

this is how my setupreg.hiv edit looks now

%cdrom%\Blackbox\Blackbox\Blackbox.exe

thats where the file will reside on my cd that ill be using

sry bout being so confused thanks for that help that youve givin me

thanks that made it work now im working on my programs that im gonna add

how did you add programs?

and how do you change the defult LH background because mines screwing up when i open a menu

I made a folder at the root caled "programs" here i added the programs I was going to use some needed to be called via batch files which I wrote and some were just fine in the .exe form. Since my "programs" folder was at the root of the CD I used the "%SYSTEMDRIVE%" variable. now if you build it so that the pograms are in the I386 folder you can use "%SYSTEMROOT%". As for the BG I had the same issue, just delete the winpe.bmp in the system32 folder, you might want to switch the theme also.