Need help on ntoskrnl.exe

Hi ppl!

I'm using custom ntoskrnl.exe in windows xp sp2.

I did everything that is on the unattended site, to make it that the setup doesn't recognizes the file as changed, no problem with this.

In the first reboot during the setup, the boot screen shows the one i changed, nut after setup is over, and he reboots to windows, the boot is back to default, and the worst is that windows freezes and doesn't starts.

Can anyone please help on those 2 issues?

(i made a new ISO with default ntoskrnl, and all worked fine, so that file is the problem)

Thanks everyone.

Cant help you with the Nero. The custom bootscreen file, was it made from the same build as the rest of the windows files?

Your not using an old SP1 bootscreen file on a SP2 slipstreamed?

If not, how are you applying it? I havent went through these steps yet but remember reading about doing that here and wasnt the instructions to rename the file and add the custom file in the:

$OEM$>$$>system32 folder.

Then use a registry hack or boot.ini hack to point to the renamed file?

If you use the same build file couldnt you modifyPE the custom file then compress with makecab and just replace the file inside the i386?

Not much help i guess just throwing some ideals.

i'm not doing it that way.

I downloaded an SP2 ready ntoskrnl.exe, then aplyed modifyPE, and then makecab, then i replaced the original file ntoskrnl.ex_ in I386 dir.

By doing this, why does it works on the 1st reboot, and on the next is back to default? And why on the next reboot, windows won't even start?

I don't use the boot.ini method, cause i didn't understood it very well, and i think it creates ao opion on boot to select OS, and i don't want that.

Thanks for helping.

I downloaded an SP2 ready ntoskrnl.exe, then aplyed modifyPE, and then makecab, then i replaced the original file ntoskrnl.ex_ in I386 dir.

Thats how i would have done it as well but i havnt went down this road yet. Best bet is to search the forum and find some past conversations about it untill someone chimes in.

**** THIS!!!!

I changed all cabs:

sp1.cab

sp2.cab

drivers.cab

Put there the changed ntoskrnl.exe, and put the .ex_ in I386, and same thing happens.

The boot gets back to default, and windows doesnt starts.

can anyone PLEASE help? I don't know what else to do :(

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Didn't knew that existed other boot related files.

Gonna copy same file on to that one and give it a try.

Do i really need to change the files inside the cabs?

[edit]

i also changed that file, but same problems happen :realmad:

gonna change the files inside the 3 cabs, if this won't work, i don't know what else to do :no:

[edit]

can i copy ntoskrnl to ntkrlnmp? just renaming it, or are file contents different?

I MADE IT!!! :w00t:

i had to change:

i386\ntoskrnl.ex_

i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_

and these:

ntoskrnl.exe

ntkrnlmp.exe

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntkrpamp.exe

inside driver.cab, sp1.cab and sp2.cab.

So, if anyone else comes into the same problem, here is the solution. :thumbup