Need help with ATI 4.8

dorguy

OemPnPDriversPath will only install hardware device drivers, nothing more. You need to install the Control Panel and WDM stuff after windows is installed (I use RunOnceEx). Also if you want to use SmartGART, you need to run setup.exe from the drivers package as well.

My Usage:

extract the drivers package to $OEM$\$1\Drivers\020_Radeon

extract the Control Panel package to $OEM$\$1\Install\ATI_CPanel

open setup.iss in both of those directories, and make sure the last lines read:

BootOption=0

*optional* edit the .reg files in $OEM$\$1\Install\ATI_CPanel and change the section:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\CPTemplate\16701\Desktop\]
"DisableQuickRes"=hex:00,00,00,00
"HelpID"="0"
"OEMSystemIcon"="0"
"EnableIcon"="0"
"NoAtipta"="1"
"OEMPropertyPagesLogo"="0"
"DeActivateAllWarningMessage"=hex:00,00,00,00
"OEMMenuSideBitmap"="0"
"OEMOptionsBitmap"="0"
"HideSwitchAmongstDisplay"=hex:00,00,00,00
"RegistrationOnLine"="OFF"

this disables the systray icon and registration nag.

edit winnt.sif and put:

[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\020_Radeon\2KXP_INF"

edit RunOnceEx.cmd and put:

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "ATI Control Panel 4.8 w/ SmartGART" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Drivers\020_Radeon\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\ATI_CPanel\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f

The WDM drivers should be done in a similar way as the Control Panel (I'm not using a VIVO card, so I haven't tried)

My Usage:

extract the drivers package to $OEM$\$1\Drivers\020_Radeon

extract the Control Panel package to $OEM$\$1\Install\ATI_CPanel

Which files do you mean when you say "drivers package"??

Fom inside the original executeable "wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-042-040803a-016701c.exe":

\Driver\2KXP_INF
\Driver\C2_16701.INI
\Driver\CX_16701.INI
\Driver\data1.cab
\Driver\data1.hdr
\Driver\data2.cab
\Driver\Driver.dat
\Driver\Driver.DLL
\Driver\ikernel.ex_
\Driver\INSTALL.INI
\Driver\layout.bin
\Driver\Setup.exe
\Driver\Setup.ini
\Driver\setup.inx
\Driver\setup.iss
\Driver\_setup.bmp
\Driver\2KXP_INF\atiiseag.ini
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154
\Driver\2KXP_INF\C2_16701.inf
\Driver\2KXP_INF\CX_16701.cat
\Driver\2KXP_INF\CX_16701.inf
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2cqag.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2dvag.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2edxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2evxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2evxx.ex_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2mdxx.ex_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati2mtag.sy_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ati3duag.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\atiddc.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ATIDEMGR.dll
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\atiiiexx.dll
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\atioglxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\atipdlxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\atitvo32.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ativcoxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\ativvaxx.dl_
\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17154\oemdspif.dl_

Surely you wouldn't need the setup.exe and all that??

From the CPanel folder inside the original executable:

16701_2K.REG
16701_XP.REG
CPanel.dat
CPANEL.dll
CP_2K.REG
CP_XP.REG
data1.cab
data1.hdr
data2.cab
FGL_32.REG
ikernel.ex_
INSTALL.INI
layout.bin
Setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
setup.iss
setup_shortcut.iss

All those as well? (WDM doesn't interest me :) I have no vivo on my gfx card)

Thanks

@Taemun:

edit RunOnceEx.cmd and put:

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "ATI Control Panel 4.8 w/ SmartGART" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Drivers\020_Radeon\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\ATI_CPanel\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f

So he IS using setup.exe ;)

Nah. TTBOMK, drivers can always be cut down to a basic inf file, and its dependancies. The setup.exe for the driver component inserts the inf file for the graphics card, AND (not sure, thats why I asked :)) installs smartgart. Smartgart allows the ATI drivers to auto-detect whether or not AGP4x or AGP8x etc is to be used (thinks).

Theres probably a few too many caveats....hehehe.

There are 3 parts to the Catalyst Drivers.

What I call "drivers package" is wxp-w2k-8-042-040803a-016701c.exe. You can extract these files, and include the folder with the .inf files in OemPnPDriversPath. This will install just the drivers. I include the setup.exe from this, to also install SmartGART. SmartGART will not install any other way (according the SmartGART FAQ at http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/SMARTGART-FAQ.pdf Q2 "Please note that SMARTGART will only be installed if the ATI setup program is used to install the display driver.") IF you don't want or need SmartGART, there is no need to run (or even include on the CD) setup.exe for this package.

Then there's the Control Panel package. This installs all the stuff in the control panel except for SmartGART.

The last package is the WDM Drivers. These are needed if you have an all-in-wonder or VIVO card and want to use those features. I haven't gotten around to testing these yet, but it's supposed to be installed before the display drivers (just add the WDM_XP folder to OemPnPDriversPath before 2KXP_INF)

Edited by Kaspin

..., but it's supposed to be installed before the display drivers (just add the WDM_XP folder to OemPnPDriversPath before 2KXP_INF)

Impossible.

Windows checks for drivers in an order you can't change. Probably, IF it's really REQUIRED WDM drivers get installed first, Windows will first look for these drivers.

But if they first look for the regular drivers, you can't do anything about it...

Yeah I couldn't see a good reason why they would need to be first.....barring crazy ATIness....:D

BTW, is the ATI WDM drivers required for other capture devices (my Nebula DigiTV, HDTV goodness)?? I wouldn't think so, but some crazy things happen :P

Taemun

..., but it's supposed to be installed before the display drivers (just add the WDM_XP folder to OemPnPDriversPath before 2KXP_INF)

Impossible.

Windows checks for drivers in an order you can't change. Probably, IF it's really REQUIRED WDM drivers get installed first, Windows will first look for these drivers.

But if they first look for the regular drivers, you can't do anything about it...

I'm just going off of what I read in the release notes for the WDM Drivers

Unknown Device Message

If you install the recommended ATI Display Driver before installing the WDM driver, you may encounter an UNKNOWN DEVICE message when restarting your computer. If this occurs, follow these steps:

1. Select CANCEL for all UNKNOWN DEVICES that are detected

2. Install tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240v2.exe

3. Restart the computer

I still haven't actually tried an unattended install with the WDM Drivers yet, so I'm not sure how things will work out.