problem - laggy PC

Stanislavs

So you had a faulty drive, and more than likely the (forgive me I just woke up here) li'l thing that reads/writes data was off a bit and misreading the drive causing the freezes/hangs.

I had a similar problem, my hard drive made a nails on a chalkboard noise and did much as you said, it would stop responding for some time, though it also would make the noises..

No, SMART is not going to prolong the life of your HD in any way. It just alerts you to any possible problems, and tells you if its going to fail anytime soon.

SMART - the full-form of it:

SMART is an abbreviation for Standard Modular Avionics Repair and Test
:blink: huh? :blink:

naah.... just messing with ya, here's the correct one:

SMART:  Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology

@prathapml

It just alerts you to any possible problems, and tells you if its going to fail anytime soon.

Yep, that is correct, but unfortunately it's mostly theory, after you have had a few (totally unjustified) alarms, and the machines continue to run smoothly, you'll get the same attitude as car owners have about their alarm "The f***ing thing has started again!" and just either deactivate it or just ignore it!

:D:D

jaclaz

The SMART doesnt alert me. By the way, my computer gets laggier every day and now it's not just happening when i copy files, but if something is using CPU, even when i watch movies or play games.

It started when (i think) i opened up my PC and there was this box with six switches. They all were off except for one. I pulled that one to off and it started lagging more everyday.

All my friends have those switches to OFF, but they dont have problems.

Then i tried to try switching ON switches one by another and it didnt work.

Perhaps i need same time for my PC to recover as the time in which it damaged, but the worst thing is, i forgot which switch was stocked to ON . :no:

TIP: (the box is blue)

Once i bought a new C:\ and installed Win 2000 on it. At first it was ok, but then there were same symptomes- For now it's just copying bad, but i fear it's gonna get worse just like my other hard disk.

(it lags even when i copy [burn] a CD ) < Win 2000 C:\

Touching those switches was the wrong thing to do. Those switches deal with what speed your mobo will run at and how fast the CPU will go. If you set them incorrectly to the wrong speed, you will experience problems.

If you want to repair the damage, you can repair it if you know your CPU speed. Look somewhere near the switches on the mobo and you should find a legend telling you what switches to move ON or OFF to have the CPU run at a certain speed.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sonict

• 2 weeks later...