Snapshot Technology...

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the 'Snapshot Technology Information' Im going to assume you mean Snapshot as in Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage.

Designing one if these applications isn't exactly the easiest, and depends how your going to do it. You can create the image no problem. What you have to think of is... "boot disk, select image and partition/hard drive, format partition, extract image.

If your expecting to be able to do this in VB or C# you have another thing coming.

doing something like this would require extensive C knowledge (i guess you could do it in C++ but not recommended) and ASM if you plan to write this completely from scratch.

I guess you could hack PC-DOS with some ntfs/fat32 drivers, your own code for the image format, and design a simple frontend for it all. I would tell you right now, judging by the question and being here (no offense to anyone, i couldnt do this either) that this is a bigger bone then you asked for.

Hi folks,

thank you very much for you're answers. Yes, I mean the snapshot technology like in Ghost or DriveSnapshot.

Anyway. I'm sure that this is a very big "bone". I would like to know how this is done and there is no open source software for that, to do an online snapshot just offline snapshots.

Best regards

an 'online' snapshot is something i wouldnt recommend. im not sure where you would go about for research on this. I would assume you would base it off of PC-DOS so you have access to NTFS and FAT32. pretty much learn about pc-dos, how to do a boot sequence, the tools required in pc-dos for partitioning/formatting/network communication (be it ftp/http/ smb/cifs. then its up to you to design a frontend for it.

i guess you could use Windows XP Embedded if you can get your hands on it (this is what Acronis TrueImage uses i believe)

otherwise the best help i can give you is this link God's Personal Search Engine