Problems with ATI Control panel

GJ-tje

My question might be offtopic, but I'm going to start a project like yours...

I want to create a MSI package for the new ATi Catalyst 4.8...

So I need tools or something, to create a MSI package myself...

But the question is: How? Then I came along this topic... ANd saw that you created a WinAMP MSI, so I'm interested in how you were able to create a MSI for WinAMP...

Lots and lots of registry monitoring and file watching :P

Why do you want to make an MSI package for the Catalyst drivers? They're perfectly installable as they are. Anyone who says another wise, just doesn't do them right (I'm currently running 4.8 in my install with no problems)

Lots and lots of registry monitoring and file watching :P

Why do you want to make an MSI package for the Catalyst drivers? They're perfectly installable as they are. Anyone who says another wise, just doesn't do them right (I'm currently running 4.8 in my install with no problems)

GJ means the driver is installing but the control panel wont.... thats why he want to create a 4.8 msi installer.

That's simple as well.....atleast on mine...

Install the drivers through OEMPnPDriversPath AND CMDLINES.TXT by using the INF and SETUP.EXE for the drivers....

Then upon restart install the control panel.

voila. works fine over here with the latest Catalyst drivers (on more then one system I might add)

Install the drivers through OEMPnPDriversPath AND CMDLINES.TXT by using the INF and SETUP.EXE for the drivers....

voila. works fine over here with the latest Catalyst drivers (on more then one system I might add)

Wich one goes to CMDLINES.TXT? The Control Panel?

The drivers get installed (using INF) thru OEMpnpDriversPath. Install the CPanel (setup.exe) at GUIrunOnce, though I don't exactly know what advantage installing it at cmdlines itself would give - it might even fail at such an early point!

You might like to start a new thread for this subject.....

Wich one goes to CMDLINES.TXT? The Control Panel?

Don't start a new thread, I'll get this one.

Have your OEMPnPDriversPath point to your Catalyst folder 2kXP or something like that. THen in CMDLINES.TXT through whatever method you use (not RunOnceEX) call the SETUP file for the Catalyst drivers, not the one that installs EVERYTHING just the one for the drivers. THen from GuiRunONce install the Control Panel.

Have your OEMPnPDriversPath point to your Catalyst folder 2kXP or something like that. THen in CMDLINES.TXT through whatever method you use (not RunOnceEX) call the SETUP file for the Catalyst drivers, not the one that installs EVERYTHING just the one for the drivers. THen from GuiRunONce install the Control Panel.

Hi Alanoll,

a few questions remain ...

1. why the driver setup if drivers are already installed through the OEMPnPDriversPath method ?

2. I guess for the driver setup one needs a iss file and setup is called with the -s switch ??

3. The same goes for the control panel installation ?

4. What happens if all of this is running on a system with no ATI card present ?? Wouldn´t this somehow mess up the system ?

I would love to have both NVIDIA and ATI drivers in my unattended setup but contrary to the NVIDIA drivers which install fine using the OEMPnPDriversPath method and won´t cause problems on system with ATI cards, the ATI drivers or at least control panel could cause problems on systems without an ATI card.

Bye,

Alex

4. What happens if all of this is running on a system with no ATI card present ?? Wouldn´t this somehow mess up the system ?

I would love to have both NVIDIA and ATI drivers in my unattended setup but contrary to the NVIDIA drivers which install fine using the OEMPnPDriversPath method and won´t cause problems on system with ATI cards, the ATI drivers or at least control panel could cause problems on systems without an ATI card.

All you need to do is to have this 4-line batch command executed *after* setup reboots (at the first auto-logon)

if exist "%systemroot%\system32\ati????.???" (
echo Installing ATi Control Panel
start /wait %systemdrive%\drivers\ATi\ATi-CPL.msi /QB"
)

Or something thereabouts would help? (this is just a seeding idea - I have NO way of knowing if it will work, I don't have ATi)

You might look up this topic (ancient, but relevant) - something related to this topic.

Hoping this helps.....

1. why the driver setup if drivers are already installed through the OEMPnPDriversPath method ?
Any notice the SETUP.EXE sets a few registry entries? :P If you use both method, it may add a few seconds to your install, but it'd be completer. Also, some peopel complain about GART not being installed, but I've never had that proplem when using both methods.
2. I guess for the driver setup one needs a iss file and setup is called with the -s switch ??

Indeed, it's an InstallShield setup. There is an ISS file already included, but I suggest your make your own with -r incase the current one has reboot set to yes.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/applications/installshield.htm

I like to use -f2 well calling my InstallShield files, just use -f2"%windir%\temp\ati.log" as it will make a log and if there are any errors, you'll get an erroccode and you can search what it means.

3. The same goes for the control panel installation ?
Indeed. Any questions, look to the quote above this one :P

Theoretically, it shouldn't install. In theory anyway. Otherwise, as prathapml suggested, you do a simple check to see if an ATI file is present, if so it installs. If not, it doesn't.

@Tbone2

This originated in teh Winamp 5 msi thread, and so I gutted it from that thread. As for posts, I've made a few posts saying the same thing, but I doubt people listened :P

But basically, you just combine all the methods. YOu would get your INF and drivers like your normally would and add it to OEMPnPDriversPath. You don't need to keep them with the setup files, you can just copy them to another folder if it's easier for you (note I said COPY not MOVE). Then with the SETUP.EXE files, create an ISS file for both Control Panel and the Drivers, then from CMDLINES.TXT install the Drivers SETUP.EXE using the typical InstallShield (linked above) method. Then from somewhere somehow at first logon install the ControlPanel.