A good idea from some forum members

Alanoll

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, it's not that hard to add at all...

You can save a page locally and see for yourself

Along with any java script somewhere at the top of the page add this:

function CodeToggle(foo) {
if (document.getElementById(foo).style.display == "none") {
 document.getElementById(foo).style.display = "inline";
} else {document.getElementById(foo).style.display = "none"; }}

This is the part that actually shows/hide the CODE sections

Getting there. Now we only miss 2 things for each CODE section generated in php (not that hard to add, either)

1) Right after <b>CODE</b>, make it add:

<a href="javascript:CodeToggle('colexp1');">+-</a>

(with a space before). It will display "+-" as a hyperlink just besides where it says CODE in bold over the code block (this is the link that calls the javascript and that will make it toggle between expanded/collapsed)

2) Almost right after that (past the </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"><!--ec1--> immediately following it), make it add <span id="colexp1"> and </span> after the post (just before <!--c2--></td></tr> )

Of course colexp1 (named like this as in collapse/expand #1), does have to increment for each code box (numbers only have to be unique, not consecutive or anything). A simple couter could take care of that (or any counter that goes up with each post on the page...)

Tada! 5 minutes and you got the functionnality. (ok, the +- hyperlink isn't the prettiest thing possible, but you can do whatever you want... perhaps make <b>CODE</b> itself the hyperlink - maybe even with no underlining... sky's the limit) It's also very conservative on bandwidth/server resources and will not prevent anything from working with non-CSS compliant browsers or browsers with no JS enabled. Not bad for a 5 minute tweak? :D

CSS+js rocks ;)

I'm not sure of who's the actual webmaster, or if someone can or can't do something like this. I could adapt a copy of the page myself too... I could also provide some screenshots if desired.

I was going to post screenshots but I'd have to find a place to host them first... at 5:30am (no, not an early bird-quite the contrary). I wish I could just have attached them, they're 1.28kb and 422 byte huge (.png's work well for this). I might post them later today, it looks good enough for me anyways...

Nevermind... I managed to find and sign up for some quality free hosting in less than 5 mintues, thanks to google :lol:

Here comes the screenshots:

expanded.png

collapsed.png

Hopefully I don't exceed my bandwidth limit hosting such huge files, that's almost 2 whole kilobytes per page load :rolleyes:

[note] I clipped the right... didn't show much anyways. Also note the l33t registry tweak (ok, nm)