432 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

Would had voted for Sygate if it wasn't for Symantec taking it other.

That's why I use the last version before it was taken over. v5.5. Hasn't failed me yet. Except for that time the Ms. clicked Yes on something while I was in the bathroom. :whistle:

Latest version I believe was 5.6.2808.0 which I have :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really need a firewall if you are behind a router?

Depends on how paranoid you are. I always recommend one regardless of the router, because of forwarded ports or *shudders* UPnP.

Not as much a paranoia , having a software firewall (besides hardware) eliminates potential threats and applications an administrator does not want accessing the net. Hardware firewalls can only block by a series of ports , where as a software firewall blocks on a physical level.

For a normal home user a simple firewall will do , and will prevent a significant amount of malicious threats , that some hardware firewalls do not detect.

cough...Im pretty sure that Cisco PIXes are capable of application level filtering, as well as being a stateful layer 3 firewall...some hardware firewalls specialize in IDS and have signature databases (pretty sure PIX does this too, but maybe not the lower end models)....

I wouldnt brush off the security offered by a REAL hardware firewall. Theres a reason PIXes are used in big businesses...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jaclaz' post='470375' date='Feb 25 2006, 09:08 AM']Looky here, this one must be tested too:
[url="http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=68523&hl=firewall"]http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...523&hl=firewall[/url]

jaclaz[/quote]

hey jaclaz i was just going to post about that here. I'd like to hear some feedback from the people who try this. :)