432 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

Well... no the test didnt' test everything, but it did test one of the often overlooked features of a firewall.

Most firewall developers will write their programs to pass tests such as ShieldsUp! and the like. However, those tests don't give an all-inclusive look at the software either.

This may be somewhat unrelated, but on occasion, I get an alert " Windows Messanger is trying to monitor your keyboard and mouse movements". Noticed this with the new version of ZA Pro.

What's going on?

Need to mention that Messanger is not even open.

Edited by Redcloud

This may be somewhat unrelated, but on occasion, I get an alert " Windows Messanger  is trying to monitor your keyboard and mouse movements".  Noticed this with the new version of ZA Pro.

What's going on?

Need to mention that Messanger is not even open.

Go to services.msc in the run box. Disable "messenger" service, then stop the service. done

Edited by dale5605

The messenger service is not Windows Messenger!

"Windows Messanger is trying to monitor your keyboard and mouse movements" because it's trying to calculate when you are away.

Like MSN Messenger, auto-away status.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried:

eSafe Desktop

ZoneAlarm

Kerio

Tiny

Outpost Pro

Look 'n Stop

Norton

Sygate

BlackICE PC Protection

... and the winner is: Outpost Pro (however, BlackICE is good as IDS).

Edited by ekerazha

Due to the fact that it used 95% of resources last time I tried, when browsing the logo window ( a lot of events were occuring, a lot of traffic passing through my cable modem, unsolicited stuff, and kerio didn't handle it nicely, zalarm did ok tho )

Windows XPSP2 all the way.
LEO:  The current Windows firewall isn't as effective?

STEVE:  No, in fact, the current Windows firewall is very much like a little NAT router on your own system.  It allows outbound traffic to flow without being fettered at all, but it does block incoming traffic.  So it's sort of like having a little NAT router right there.  But of course all the hackers know how to turn it off.

LEO:  Right.  Is it fairly easy to do?

STEVE:  Oh, yeah.  It's quite trivial, actually, to turn it off.

LEO:  Oh, that's too bad.

STEVE:  I mean, and that's an inherent problem with a software firewall.  But I don't see that changing anytime soon because to change Windows architecture would be just a huge, a huge revamp of the OS.

LEO:  So if you've got a router, no point in using the Windows firewall.  It's not giving you any additional protection.  But you might want to run something like ZoneAlarm, my personal favorite right now.  I think you were the one who told me about it, is the Sygate personal edition, the free Sygate firewall?

STEVE:  I like Sygate.  I like - actually my favorite two are the Kerio or the Tiny personal firewall.

LEO:  Tiny's very good, yeah.

STEVE:  And of course Sygate just got purchased by Symantec.

LEO:  Right.

Just a note for those who use outpost. I just tried to install it and it worked great. Problem was thought, it told me to update and now i have outpost pro which is a 30 day trial.

So if you use outpost dont update, or use a firewall that doesnt require a full purchase to update it. :)

(Sorry dont know if this has been said alreday. forgot to check when posting)

Edited by phkninja

I like zone alarm free because...

*its not confusing

*keeps hackers out "DUH" :lol:

*Has AWESOME program control

*Automatically tells me when i need to update

*it is recognised by McAfee and Servise Pac 2 Secutity Center

*Hardley ever crashes(it crashed one in 4 yrs)

*It doesnt always annoy you with popups to upgrade to the "FULL VERSION"

*And i cant think of anything else right now because i have a cold and i'm takeing NightQuill "The coffing, snifflng, sneezing. Y the hell is the room spinning? medicine."

It's all about Sygate.

wow a giggabite of ram! must be enough to dim the lights eh? :lol: