432 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

I'm assuming I have no need for a software firewall; my router blocks all attempted intrusions. At scan.sygate.com, I passed all of the test with stealth status. I also went to some other sites and they too reported me stealth.

I hate software Firewalls but have to use them since I have no NAT.

If I had one I woud have much more resources and CPU.

Which program are you using right now?

Sygate is running on all my computers at home, and I've never noticed it get in the way of any network traffic. CPU and RAM usage are quite low (~10MB RAM on average) and I've transferred files across my CAT5e (100Mbps) network without any speed loss. :thumbup

Call me paranoid.... I'm running behind a Linksys router which stealths the entire network, but I definately need the software firewall on my laptop since I connect to my university's wireless network, and I know for a fact that there are infected computers there... :no:

All these free ones are great and all, but I rarely ever use a computer of mine NOT behind a hardware / unix router/firewall. I understand the personal software firewall's main benefit is to keep stuff from getting out.

However... with winXP and possibly 2k, they kinda are useless since the main thing that wants to get out is "Generic SvcHost" or something similarly generic. Since it seems most anything can use that, it kinda renders the outbound protection moot. I mean, how do I know if what's calling "Generic whatever" is good or bad?

Therefore... My question is...

"Is there a personal software firewall that will tell me what underlying process/program is making the Generic call?"

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I've never seen it in my limited searching on the subject.)

Edited by JoeMSFN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is hands down the best firewall I have tested!

We tried sygate, symantec, mcafee and all seemed to be lacking some functionality, mainly configuability of the rules.

If you have not tried Anti-Hacker try a free 30-day trial at www.kaspersky.com

Their AV is also the best! I prefer the Business version to the personal version because it is much more configurable.

All these free ones are great and all, but I rarely ever use a computer of mine NOT behind a hardware / unix router/firewall.  I understand the personal software firewall's main benefit is to keep stuff from getting out.

However... with winXP and possibly 2k, they kinda are useless since the main thing that wants to get out is "Generic SvcHost" or something similarly generic.  Since it seems most anything can use that, it kinda renders the outbound protection moot.  I mean, how do I know if what's calling "Generic whatever" is good or bad?

Therefore... My question is...

"Is there a personal software firewall that will tell me what underlying process/program is making the Generic call?"

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I've never seen it in my limited searching on the subject.)

OK, I don't know if this will anwser your question, I have been using Kaspersky Anti-Hacker on My personal WinXP with SP2 for over 2 months now and I have never seen a generic attempt to access the net. I believe Anti-Hacker works in this manner. Please try the trial version before taking my word for it.

www.kaspersky.com

I have tried other firewalls like norton, and avg. But they are incredibly annoying and pesky, I get popups all the time, almost always false alerts too. With windows firewall I sometimes have to unblock a new program once, and that's it. It doesn't bug me all the time so I can get along with it. :D

I have tried other firewalls like norton, and avg. But they are incredibly annoying and pesky, I get popups all the time, almost always false alerts too. With windows firewall I sometimes have to unblock a new program once, and that's it. It doesn't bug me all the time so I can get along with it.  :D

The big problem with the Windows firewall is that it is easily circumvented by malware and it doesn't scan outgoing traffic at all.

As for third-pary firewalls, I don't get any "pesky" pop-ups from Sygate, and I only need to allow the program access to the network once and it leaves me alone. I've never had a "false" alert with Sygate, perhaps one that Sygate thinks is a threat, but actually isn't. So I just adjust a setting and all is well. It's better to have a little bit of a tighter system that you then have to open up for your programs than a wide-open system (which is essentially what you've got now). I know other programs act in the same way (BitDefender, Kerio, etc).