1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Zone Alarm Pro, But it takes alot of system resources. I would say an actual Firewall between you and the internet would be the best, but nothing is full proof. I personally use nothing on my system at home, the way I see it is that I know to keep windows up to date, I know when something is a "Shady Download" and I dont go clicking on everthing I see online. 10 years, no problems. Wait, I did get Blaster, but after that I made sure to check windows update every month :D

For those who "voted"  router, this is the Software Hangout forum - hehe, sorry

I use a router AND I really like Outpost firewall.  Review: http://www.pcflank.com/review_outpostpro1.htm

Next version (2.5) is targeted to pass all known leaktests (it's beta at this time)

I have a router so I don't bother with software firewalls. People with only one PC (no network) even use a router just because it is a hardware firewall. And using a software firewall overtop of a hardware firewall is NOT a good idea. :}

Of course you can't see a clear winner. Everyone has different preferences and these different preferences cause people to prefer different software. Otherwise, everyone would say the same thing and the thread would be called "Post Here To Say Sygate", for example. You have to go out and try the different software so you can determine first-hand which one suits you best. Personally, I can't stand resource hogs. Then again, I don't need to bother taking time to test different software since I have a Hardware firewall (Router) as I stated in my last post. :hello:

I use Outpost Pro 2.5. I at one time used ZonePro, but when I would boot my ME computer, I had 80% system resources free. When I booted running Outpost Pro, I had 95% resources free. Right now about the only issue I'm trying to figure out that I believe it related to Outpost 2.5 Pro is why Winmgmt is loading when I boot up.

I use a router and I have been using Zone Alarm Pro for years now.. Maybe 4/5 type of thing...

I think they all pretty much do the same thing..The security features are about the same in most. I like the ZAP because of the few special features it adds, the browser clean up works very well and quick.

I have no complaints..Because it's really never given me cause for any. I've never seen any one else in here (My PC's) except me and my family..So I guess it's doin it's job ;) .. LOL!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody here uses BlackIce? Me neither :lol:

I'd prefer hardware device for such task, like a router or nVidia nForce3 integrated firewall.

Since the last clean XP install in my system (3 days ago), due to a faulty Maxtor 6L040J2 replaced by a WDC WD400B-00FJA0, I didn't reistall BlackIce yet.

So hope this thread tell me something I know...