432 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

I notice all the pinned items for "best" software lists, and find the lack of a firewall thread shocking, SHOCKING!!!

WinXP included sucks.

Tried ZoneAlarm trial... seemed to be OK,

Used to use Outpost a year ago, but got tired of the bugs,

Currently settled in with Sygate.

What are you using?

Windows XPSP2's own firewall rocks - why bog down your system with anything alse when it exists?

Otherwise, if I'm working on a non WinXPSP2 OS, ZoneAlarm 5.1 Security Suite is the tops - firewall, ad-blocking, and anti-virus (and more) all in one neat package which won't slowdown the system (in contrast to Symantec's parallel solution of Norton Internet Security 2004).

i will choose outpost but not for it firewall capabilities, it's the best ad blocker i've ever seen and works perfect. i've used many firewalls for example zonealarm (high resources), panda antivirus firewall (problems with permissions), bitdefender antivirus firewall (not much posibilities) and outpost that sometimes give problems but i think it's the best

i will choose outpost but not for it firewall capabilities, it's the best ad blocker i've ever seen and works perfect.

I agree, I'm using Outpost for that very reason. Plus, it's easy to configure (I know s**t about firewall configuration, BTW).

Have you been able to set it up unattended?

If so, would you please share your method?

(I wrote an AutoIt script for it this AM but haven't had a chance to test it yet.)

i will choose outpost but not for it firewall capabilities, it's the best ad blocker i've ever seen and works perfect.

I agree, I'm using Outpost for that very reason. Plus, it's easy to configure (I know s**t about firewall configuration, BTW).

Have you been able to set it up unattended?

If so, would you please share your method?

(I wrote an AutoIt script for it this AM but haven't had a chance to test it yet.)

muaaahahahahaha!! :lol:

many time waiting for an unattended solution to outpost. it has annoyed me for a very long time and after days i've found it!

Guide to Silent Install Outpost Firewall Pro (by me :lol: )

ZoneAlarm Pro... hands down. Bought it for $40 & haven't had any problems. Web sites don't have pop-ups (ZoneAlarm blocks those bad cookies & leaves a blank space where the ad was & pop-ups close), it blocks access attempts on your computer, works hand-in-hand with your favorite anti-virus software, and sets up easily. Best of all, the program is made by some very talented hackers.

Outpost has worked great for me (v2.1) + the blockpost plugin (+ altkernel, huge blocklists and doesn't bog the system down like ZA) You can even run it in the background and it idles around 00 - 02 CPU usage and uses up about 14mb of RAM (at least on my system, my buddy said it uses about 18 on his).

I used ZA 4 for a while but it was slow as hell when using a big blocklist. ZA 5 seemed to have a lot of problems so I started using Outpost.