Performance Counters, and what they MIGHT be for

kalavera

@puntoMX

it's in Administrative Tools -> Performance

the counters do just that - they count. they just record statistical data. they don't make any adjustments to your settings, just provide the information so you can make an informed decision on how to adjust your system yourself and see what results each change makes. apparently this is really useful for finding bottlenecks or diagnosing problems. i don't use it myself as most of the info is over my head but i've come across several pages explaining how it can be used to optimize your system.

ever disable the Performance Logs and Alerts service? this is the exact same thing. i've never had problems with it off.

@Jeremy

event log i like to keep running. i don't use it very often at all, but when need it i'm glad it's there.

i don't think they're too massive. you're not going to get a huge jump in performance since all it's really doing is reading values. but if you're not using it anyways, it won't hurt to disable it.

Windows saved user THE-REALM\Jeremy registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."
"Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."

this has something to do with services (1st error msg) or programs (2nd msg) that don't properly close the registry when they exit (like how sometimes you can't delete a avi or folder because it's "in use" even though you have nothing running). it's a known problem and ms has put out a "patch" you can download. it's actually a small service that sits in the background and watches for reg entries that are open but the app that opened them is not longer running, and closes them. i can't remember what it was called, but i'll have a look for it in about 20 min or so. (smoke break) i know it had HIVE in the name. if you happen to have the Event ID of the error msgs, you should be able to look it up no problem.

:)

@Jeremy

found it:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBP/tip7800/rh7815.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

@All

more performance counter info than you'll ever need:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/PerfMon.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t6/proch27.mspx

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/tweak.html (#15)

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...&threadId=45322

@ Jeronimo

that's what i gather, but i'm still a little fuzzy on what does what. to me it seems that the performance counters process and record the raw data and the log/alert displays that data in a form that you can monitor over time. also it can be setup to send you an Administrative Alert if anything goes wonky. what i'm hazy on is whether they're independant of eachother or not, or if the logs are disabled, do the counters still process the raw info?

probably not, but i'm just going to disable both and get some sleep. ;)

Well, as for the Performance Monitors, I think it would be a good idea if Nuhi found them all and made a reg tweak in the Tweaks section called "Disable Performance Monitors" for users to use that way. But of course that's only a suggestion coming from a person who thinks getting rid of them all would be a good thing. A better thing than a reg tweak would be to find all the files that are associated with them and remove them. Once again I am in the unknown. :wacko:

that should do it.

i found this as well:

Performance counters are enabled by default to allow applications such as Performance Logs and Alerts to subscribe to these counters and measure performance. One can disable these performance counters to free resources.

"applications such as" makes me think they're two seperate things, so maybe i was wrong about disabling the PL&A service being the same thing. it sounds like they would continue to log data. i think i'm wandering off into the unknown myself here. :lol: anyways this thread is getting way off-topic so i won't babble on about it anymore.

Maybe Alanoll can create a topic for these Perfoemance Counters and put all related posts in it. I did that tweak to disable them on both mine and my gf's PC. What exactly does it do? Are counters and monitors seperate?

so i just made up a new install with the regkey above included. it looks to me like that does the job. perflib is the library or database that all these counters report to i guess, so turn it off and the counters go as well. i did find out that while performance tracking is enabled by default, performance monitoring isn't; meaning while the counters are always reading the data, they're not storing it anywhere. if you activate a monitor in the Performance tool or another monitoring program, then it starts logging the info for you. so yes, they are separate, and the Perflib key above disables all counters.

and just to confuse you some more, if you check in that exctrlst.exe tool posted above to see what counters are active, it will still show them as being enabled. this is because it only checks to see if there's a Disable key set in each service's registry entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\<ServiceName>\Performance]. but we didn't touch those keys and instead just disabled the whole system so it still reports back as being on. (just like for example when you disable the Indexing Service your drive properties window will still have Allow Indexing Service... checked).

i think i'm just going to forget about this whole thing and instead focus my attention on something a little less complicated like quantum physics or world domination.

oh yeah, something else i stumbled across. if you want to see exactly how many of these counters there are, check out c:\windows\system32\PerfStringBackup.ini