Noob - delving into XPCD

fourte3n

Hi Im a noob to this XPCD creation and have been browsing the threads for the last few days taking notes and trying to understand everything in front of me. There seems to be a big mix in the Switches area between the old an new ways which can be confusing. Has anyong thought of making a thread or linked site that has ONLY 100% working switches?

I am trying to make two CD's. One for me with my prefered software and another with mainly freeware software included.

1:

Hotfixes, IE6, Firefox9 (custom skin), Thunderbird (custom skin), Office2003 (word and excel only), Acrobat 6, Media Player 9, Winamp 5 (custom skin), Photoshop CS, NOD 32, Outpost Firewall Pro, IZArc (with custom menu bar), Nero 6.3, Emule .43 (custom skin), Adaware SE 1.03, Mail Notifier, IconPackager (custom icons), RegClean, ACE Mega Codec Pack. Plus Own MSSTYLE

2:

Hotfixes, IE6, Firefox9 (custom skin), Thunderbird (custom skin), OpenOffice, Acrobat 6, Media Player 9, Winamp 5 (custom skin), GIMP 2.4.3, AVG Free Edition, Outpost Firewall Free, IZArc (with custom menu bar), CDBurnerXP Pro 3, Emule .43 (custom skin), Adaware SE 1.03, Mail Notifier, RegClean, ACE Mega Codec Pack. Plus Own MSSTYLE

Has anyone done anything similar to these?

The stickies at the top of the page have tons of switches. I've personally never run into one that was listed and hasn't worked. Also you can run the installer in the command line and use the /? switch to get a list of all the switches for that particular installer.

Also you realize that with SP2 you won't need to worry about hotfixes, IE6, WMP9, etc. Right?

Yes I realise this but I have also seen a lot of people having trouble with SP2 and incompatibility, so for now I dont want SP2. I have the hotfixes sort atm. they were easy enough.

its everything else thats confusing.

I have started aswell with unattended windows XP installation and have a fine list of software on the cd now:

SP1 + updates

Direct X 9.0c

MSN

Norton Anti Virus Corporate

Java

Power Toys (timersnap, imageresizer and TweakUI

KazaaLite

Direct Connect

Bittorent

Acrobat Reader

Ad-Aware 6 Pro

Nero Burning Rom 6

Winrar

mcafee personal firewall

ATI drivers + control panel

dreamweaver 2004 mx

Winamp

Picture Toolbar

Messenger plus

Kazaa lite codec pack + gordian knot codecpack

Mirosoft office 2003

A trick I used is making a fresh install of windows xp using the cd without all the apps, only including the service pack and updates on a vmware machine...

Then I used winInstall to record all the application installations, I installed some applications at the same time (smaller ones) so that I saved time...

I tested it with the vmware machine again and it worked perfectly... Not bad for a newb if I may say so myself, and that despite the crappy feedback from this suck-a** forum where the only ones being actually helped are the people who have over 200 posts or pretend to be total n00bs, even when they arent.

bunch of wankin.gif...

:hello:

Yes I realise this but I have also seen a lot of people having trouble with SP2 and incompatibility, so for now I dont want SP2.  I have the hotfixes sort atm. they were easy enough.

its everything else thats confusing.

A) Most problems are fixed with a clean install which I can't explain why but it's true. (Most people who complain installed it on top of their old version)

B) Most problems are ONLY a result of the Windows Firewall being turned on. Obviously a lot of programs that use the internet are going to have 'problems' now that a firewall is installed.

C) A lot of programs with legitimate issues have been fixed.

D) Most other 'broken' programs can be fixed in a matter of minutes just people would rather go on to (other) forums and whine about how SP2 stinks instead of trying to fix them.

I have SP2 running on all 4 computers on my network and not one of them has had even the slightest problem. Trust me...if you're saavy enough to make an unattended cd you'll be able to handle anything that SP2 throws at you (and it doesn't throw much).

B) Most problems are ONLY a result of the Windows Firewall being turned on. Obviously a lot of programs that use the internet are going to have 'problems' now that a firewall is installed.

Why does the firewall b***h now then and didnt it do so before with version 1 and sp1? The firewall has always been present in Windows XP... even in the Home edition...

• 2 weeks later...

Why does the firewall b***h now then and didnt it do so before with version 1 and sp1? The firewall has always been present in Windows XP... even in the Home edition...

It's automatically turned on now.

Now the firewall blocks outgoing as well as incoming connections, like a true firewall. The previous version only blocked incoming connections. This is why people are having a problem with it. They're not used to a secure PC, heh.