SP2 codecs

XPero

HI! we all already know problems between xp sp2 and divx. So, whats the best solution? > whats the best codec (pack or not) should i use? (ive read ffdshow is good) or should i disable DEP? Im currently using K-Lite Codec Pack.

THANKZ :hello:

the one you're using (k-lite) seems pretty comprehensive in terms of different codecs; I'll do a little searching tomorrow.

EDIT: found this: http://www.divxity.com/ It's supposed to be a video player with DivX support built-in but can also handle other formats.

EDIT2: More digging and I realized that this still needs the codec :blushing: ; but this is still a good video player.

Edited by nolookingca

Hi again, thankz a lot nolookingca ;) . The player you told is good but ive been testing ffdshow and i think is the best solution (for now). I dont like my system full of players (this for that and that for this :wacko: ). I will go on searching for solutions, if i find somthing i will post it here.

In short: WMP9 and ffdshow (for now)

Bye :hello:

Within a week or two there should be a new Divx release to correc the SP2 issues.

ffdshow isn't really a codec, it's more of a postprocessing codec technicially.

The K-Lite codec is pretty comprehensive but only has versions that are released by others. It's more of acompilation and not their own codecs. I believe the Xvid codec can handle Divx5 streams.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, ffdshow does a LOT of nice post processing, but it can also decode all mpeg4 formats (divx/xvid/...).

I use a customized K-Lite codec pack install (with a .inf file), then I install (on the HTPC):

-latest ffdshow alpha (hopefully it works doing post processing of raw video...)

-AC3 filter 1.01a rc5

-latest xvid

-Real alternative

-Quicktime (although quick alternative would be ok too)

-Gabest CDXA Reader Filter (there's another riff cd/xa filter around too)

-a CDDA fitler

-Gabest AVI Splitter (better than the generic windows provided avi splitter)

-a whole bunch of mpeg2 decoders (cyberlink, intervideo, sonic, sonic dvb, main concept, elecard, ...)

And lots of extras (tfm fitler, stream shifter, reclock 1.4, ...) are installed sometimes too. Using zoom player as a main player.

divx DOESN'T make it on my PC. As far as encoding (such as making backup of the kid's DVDs to put on the video server until they tire of them), I always use the latest xvid with a CQM, and usually 2 CD Rips. DivX just isn't worth it imho, not that good of a codec at all.