OEM Logo

That page has some incorrect information and is missing some vital information.

Incorrect Information

The dimensions stated on that page are incorrect. They are stated as 180x114. They've been stated incorrectly by Microsoft's documentation in the past. The correct dimensions for Windows XP are 172x100.

Missing Information

1) There is the requirement that the OEMLOGO.BMP file must be a Windows compliant BMP file of 256 color only.

2) The top-most, left-most pixel (0,0) of OEMLOGO.BMP is used for the color index of the bitmap transparency. What that means is that if your (0,0) pixel is black, all black in your OEMLOGO.BMP will become transparent.

To avoid any transparency, put a 1 pixel border of a different color (RGB:255,0,255 is rarely used.) around the outside of your OEMLOGO.BMP while still remaining with a total image size of no more then 172x100.

3) OEMLOGO.BMP will NOT show unless OEMINFO.INI is present as well with the minimum of

[General]

and a minimum of either

Manufacturer=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)

OR

Model=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)

The lines below are optional lines that can be included IN ADDITION TO the above minimum required:

[OEMSpecific]
SubModel=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)
SerialNo=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)
OEM1=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)
OEM2=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)

[Support Information]
Line1=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)
Line(Line Number)=(Some text, must contain at least ONE character to appear)

Hope this information helps answer any future problems you could encounter while making your OEMLOGO.BMP. And if you use photoshop with Perceptual Indexing of the colour palette with Pattern Dittering, you'll find that you can transform high quality images into very decent OEMLOGOs. Here's my example below using the following OEMINFO.INI:

[General] 
Manufacturer=Customized Install

post-70-1092720516_thumb.png

The dimensions stated on that page are incorrect. They are stated as 180x114. They've been stated incorrectly by Microsoft's documentation in the past. The correct dimensions for Windows XP are 172x100.

There is the requirement that the OEMLOGO.BMP file must be a Windows compliant BMP file of 256 color only.

well, that sure is news to me. maybe it works because i didn't know it's not supposed to. ;)

seriously though, i've had 3 oem logos, all 180x114. two worked fine and the other was cropped like that KB page describes.

*shrug*

post-70-1092723451_thumb.jpg

There is the requirement that the OEMLOGO.BMP file must be a Windows compliant BMP file of 256 color only.

well, that sure is news to me. maybe it works because i didn't know it's not supposed to. ;)

seriously though, i've had 3 oem logos, all 180x114. two worked fine and the other was cropped like that KB page describes.

*shrug*

dude... :thumbup

your method works GREAT!!!

Here is mine... also made mine with 180 X 114 :w00t:

post-70-1092789144_thumb.jpg

If you fill in the white of that picture of the PC with RGB(255,0,255) it will look much nicer as the background will be transparent.

also first pixel (1,1) must be of pink color (255,0,255) and bmp must be converted to indexed color.