Error while running mkimg.cmd

mbouchard

As long as I have been using WinPE I have never had to use the mkimg tool to create a image. Well, I am currently trying to setup a PE disk to install on servers and am trying to build my image using Win2003 and am running into an error when I run the mkimg command. I know it is something that I am doing wrong but am just not sure what that is.

Here is what I have:

Folder structure for Destination: c:\WinPE2003 with WinPE folder underneath (Contains netcfg and factory)

Source: have tried network location, original CD, and local HD (c:\nt\2003 which contains the i386 folder)

Command used : c:\WinPE2003\WinPE\mkimg.cmd c:\nt\2003 c:\winPE2003

The error I receive:

Cannot find C:\\extra.inf file

Not running from a writable directory.

Please copy the WinPE directory from CD to a hard disk and

execute mkimg.cmd from that directory

I threw in an echo of the %WINPEOPTDIR% which is where the extra.inf file is supposed to be found and that returns C:\ and I am not sure why that is happening.

Thanks,

Mike

I hate when I do "stupid" things.

It seems that when I was running the command MKIMG I was running it in a cmd window. The current dir was C: while the mkimg was in C:\winPE2003\WinPE and that was causing the problem. AS soon as I made the current dir in the cmd window C:\winpe2003\winpe mkimg ran with no problems.

Live and learn.

Thanks for your help Dan.

Mike

I had a feeling it was directory related. Based on the C:\\ that the error was showing.

Lets chalk that one up to a .... DOH!

We've all been there once or twice!

If you script your build process.. toss a line in that will change dir to that location first.

Chris

Normally, I don't need to use Mkimg. I have a couple PE builds (Test, Production) that I use, essentially copied from WinPE 1.0 (If I remember correctly) that I just update as needed. Which has basically been adding Nic drivers. This has been the first time that I have needed a PE disk to work with some servers.

I do hate having DOH moments though<G> But it happens.

Thanks for the help, now I am just waiting for 1.5 to arrive.

Mike

Normally, I don't need to use Mkimg.  I have a couple PE builds (Test, Production) that I use, essentially copied from WinPE 1.0 (If I remember correctly) that I just update as needed.  Which has basically been adding Nic drivers.  This has been the first time that I have needed a PE disk to work with some servers.

I do hate having DOH moments though<G>  But it happens.

Thanks for the help, now I am just waiting for 1.5 to arrive.

Mike

You're welsome, although I didn't do much. But I too am waiting for 1.5 to update my PE CD. I don't know what the hold up is, it should have been released. Also I did not end getting 1.5 out of the SMS, there is still no tool in the SMS SP1 suite capable of editting .WIM files.