msobshel.htm problem

im trying to make a semi-unattended xp installation (sp2 splitstreamed). everything goes perfectly fine, until this. it happens right before the user is prompted for a login name and the internet setup wizard w/ that animated ? in the blue circle (right after that Please Wait screen after the resolution fix). i discovered that msobshel.htm is the file that displays that.

for some reason, its asking me to open, save, or cancle the file. i got a screen shot here incase it helps

Pressing open would give me "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." Clicking OK would halt my installation

trying to save it and open it does the same. actually, doing anything wont help, the prompt is a signal for death

so, anyone know how to get around this? maby something i messed up on in winnt.sif file?

post-70-1092638206_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well. I know that this is related to the oobe; however, I am using a Windows XP Corporate CD (SP1 slipstreamed). I have run the unattended a couple of times before with IE browser and the core removed and still haven't encountered this before. Does anyone have any clue why this would be popping up now, especially on the Corporate CD? Haven't edited anything in the winnt.sif. It is the winnt.sif that I have used in previous successful installations. I've ran through that a couple of times and verified that everything is fine. Would the keeping the mshtml.dll make any difference?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
[quote name='glent' post='473130' date='Mar 2 2006, 03:54 PM']did you use nlite to remove something?[/quote]

No. I used a standard corp volume XP w/ SP2 slipstreamed, installed the latest RyanVM update pack, and latest BTS driver packs (I've been doing this without error for the past 6 months). Usually if there is an update remaining to install, I will just use the INTEGRATE: method without issue. I seems that KB912945 is causing this, however I'm not entirely certain.

*Yawn* Read my lengthy post in Hulk's sticky at the top of the forum. Long story short, you can't directly integrate KB912945 into your CD. You can install it after Windows is installed, however.

EDIT: Start from [url="http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=31886&view=findpost&p=472756"]here[/url]. Edited by RyanVM

• 4 years later...

This is a very old topic, but not really solved.

I ran into the same msobshel.htm problem and was able to reproduce it.

In my case, It's caused by creating the unattended source (including the integration of hotfixes) on a mounted network share.

If I use a local harddisk, the problem is gone.

NU.

• 3 weeks later...