CDBOOT: Cannot BOOT from the CD - Code: 5

FFA

Hi i too had the same problem with error code 5, and too followed the guide.

In the guide its says to Replace I386 with PRO1 for example with hex editor, you will get the error if you just backspace i386 and type in PRO1.

Instead of backspacing fill i386 with zero's first then type in PRO1 then save.

After i did it like that no error and is all good.

hope this helps :)

nice tYpO you have been a really big help hehe i have press delete when i change the code in hex edtior hehe but if i press delete i DELETE the code hehe but if i only write these few letters over i only change the name hehe so thanks mate REALLY NICE i can be finnish with the DVD

why not just follow what flyakite's multi-boot DVD guide says?

He says:

in your PRO1 directory open up the file in your Hex-editor.

Under Edit -> Replace (Ctrl+H) search for Type: "Text String."

We want to find i386 and replace it with PRO1.

Click OK and then choose Replace All.

It should say "x Occurrences Replaced."

When done, save the file

NOTE: I modified the quote slightly to make the instructions more generic.

So that is all there really is - in other words, don't try manually editing at all - simply give the task to the "Find and Replace" function.

hehe i have found my error and i shoul not have any problems again

well hehe good for you...maybe you can hehe share in this thread for others to know exactly what you hehe did...I think its disrespectful to those in this thread..that have helped or are still seeking anwsers...that when one finds his solution...to then run off..without explaining...so that other will have ideal to help future members....hehe

hehe i have found my error and i shoul not have any problems again

well hehe good for you...maybe you can hehe share in this thread for others to know exactly what you hehe did...I think its disrespectful to those in this thread..that have helped or are still seeking anwsers...that when one finds his solution...to then run off..without explaining...so that other will have ideal to help future members....hehe

He did.

nice tYpO you have been a really big help hehe i have press delete when i change the code in hex edtior hehe but if i press delete i DELETE the code hehe but if i only write these few letters over i only change the name hehe so thanks mate REALLY NICE i can be finnish with the DVD

5 posts above yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

What he was asking was what file you are editing. He probably did what I have done and googled to this message from the Internet and you have not mentioned the actual file being changed by FFA. The one where he changes I386 to PRO.

I have this CDBOOT code 5 error and I am trying to diagnose the problem as well. It took me a little while to figure out that 0000 and 4 from the first page of replies referred to Nero settings for a new CD-ROM (Boot). They are under the "Boot" tab in expert settings.

Kind of Emulation: No Emulation

Boot Message: irrelevant

Load Segment: 0000

Number of loaded sectors: 4

Regards

Gecko

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem. the whole "code 5" thing. i was about to post on here a while back requesting help, but then corrected it. I had downloaded one of the boot sectors from the famous guide, but it was this boot sector that was giving me problems. He says so in the guide, that it might not work for all. All I did was follow his guide on making your own boot sector. Then it worked.

Well that was my solution anyway. Hope this helps someone. :)