Silent install of printer included in WXP

StarWing

Is it possible to do a silent install of a printerdriver that is already included in windows XP ?

When I am booting for the first time of my unattended install, windows detects my printer and asks to install it. All I have to do is clicking YES and OK a few times. Isn't it possible to do this thru a simple command or something ?

Already searched google and MSFN forums, but nothing found

Printer is a HP 720C and there are no newer drivers @ HP website.

Is it possible to extract the neccesary files from anywhere, and point OemPnpdrivers-path to the location where i've putted them ?

Thx

I don't know if this will work for you but I use a printer which is not included inside the WinXP cd (Canon BJ S330). I install it using the unattended (winnt.sif) stuff. Usually, if you install some device, it has to be turned on but even when the printer is not turned on, it installs by it self without any dialogs appearing in front of me asking for Yes/No stuff.

If you have those original installation diskettes of your HP 720C, why don't you use it for the unattended installation?

Or maybe you can do this and figure out which ones are needed by checking out the drivers when you do the printer testing which prints out the driver lists.

Hope this helps, but if it didn't try other pplz method.

The disks that I have of my HP720 are from the pre W2k era, so no drivers for WXP (and none exists on HP.com neither)

I've think that I have found a way to do it.. But I need an utility that checks which files are accessed during manual reinstall. I know the existance of such an util, but I can't find it.. Hints anyone ? I am checking Tucows now, but so far, no succes :'(

WXP recognizes the printer during the first "real" startup, even when powered off.

No luck so far..

I'v monitored the files with filemon. I think that I have all the necessary files, but still I'm getting an error at the end of the reinstallation in my current windows.

Also, another weird thing is: when I'm pointing to ntprint.inf in the %systemroot%\inf file, Win says that the driver is Digitally Signed.. But when copying the same file to another dir, win says that the file is _not_ digitally signed :s

BUT...

When ignoring the error at the install. Then I can print without problems.. Even the printer icon in the system properties gives a file error (file not found)

this is how i install my driver not sure if you guys alread know this..... one install the printer drivers only then i install the actual printer device. I hope this helps some

ECHO ***** Printer Driver Install *****

ECHO T632

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark T632" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmaag2da.inf

ECHO T630

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark T630" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmaag2da.inf

ECHO T522

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark T522" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmpcl2a.inf

ECHO T614

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark Optra T614" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmpcl2a.inf

ECHO S1855

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark Optra S 1855" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmpcl2a.inf

ECHO Generic / Text Only

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Generic / Text Only" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf"

ECHO.

ECHO ***** Printer Install *****

ECHO Laser

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /Z /b "Laser" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmaag2da.inf /r "lpt1:" /m "Lexmark T632"

ECHO CheckPr

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /Z /b "CheckPr" /f "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /r "lpt1:" /m "Generic / Text Only"

ECHO Giving users rights to printer

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\subinacl.exe /printer "Laser" /grant=everyone

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\subinacl.exe /printer "CheckPr" /grant=everyone

Usage: rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /h

Sorry for the rush working on to many things at once... you can use the /q to make the install quiet which i have taken out of the last post for testing purposes. Also i have been sucessfull in installing network printers but only using windows xp or 2000 standard tcip ports.

This will list all the option

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /h

Does this option include drivers or just basic settings?

Store all printer settings into a file:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Ss /n "printer" /a "file.dat"

and then

Restore all printer settings from a file:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUI /Sr /n "printer" /a "file.dat"

Thanks for your help....

Im not sure exactly what you're asking but let me explain what im doing with the install..

The following command only installs the driver itself. No printer device will be listed in the printer control panel. The reason for me installing all those drivers is that once they are loaded you don't have to have admin rights to change over to different drivers. To explain this further if you were to go to the properties of the printer device and selected the Advanced Tab in the Driver field the drop down will list all the drivers that were installed.

(all one line)

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Lexmark T632" /h "intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmaag2da.inf

Then you have to actually install the printer device to show up in the printer control panel.

(all one line)

start /wait rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /Z /b "Laser" /f c:\lexmark\drivers\win_2000\lmaag2da.inf /r "lpt1:" /m "Lexmark T632"

As for loading actual printer settings which I believe is what you are asking for I haven't gone that far since we have too many different types of printers to set on a master image. Although i would like to know if it does work.. i might try that on the next reload but for now its time for me to go home...

So since I'm trying to do a network printer I would just replace /in with /ia correct?

What about the network settings?

Computer name? Workgroup?

The printer is actually connected to my wife's computer.

Thanks for your time....