WinXP & VIA KT266 Chipset

Xavier

Recently upgraded to Shuttle AK31 Mobo and Athlon 1.4Ghz 266 Processor. Successfully loaded XP however XP reports unknown device which I suspect is the VIA IDE Drivers. I have installed every flavour of VIA 4-in-1 release drivers (including the latest 4.34) with no success. I have upgraded the BIOS and I have used Shuttle's Busmaster drivers to no avail. Anyone managed to solve this enigma.

By the way any tips on overclocking what is supposed to be an eminently clockable chip would be appreciated. Every time I take the FSB to 266 - BSOD. Everytime I take the procesor speed over 1.4Ghz - BSOD.

This is driving me crazy - HELP!!!!!!![/size:22bbf02216]

:mad:

Theres upgrade drivers for cpu....that might help. Also overclocking what type of ram are you using. Have you set your CPU Volts higher in your bios. Change your setting on ram from 222 back to 333 and normal not strong. Your going to have to post more about your settings in your bios to get any help. Included your settings for ram and cpu and your voltage your running your MB at.Start a new thread for overclocking....That would help out alot. Thanks!

-Chris

Here is my System Spec

Processor(s): AMD Athlon processor @ 1.40GHz

System BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG

Mainboard: VT8366-8233

System Chipset: VIA Technologies Inc VT8366 Apollo KT266 CPU to

PCI Bridge

Installed Memory: 512MB

Windows System: Microsoft Windows 2002 XP Professional 5.01.2600

Processor: AMD Athlon processor @ 1.40GHz

Co-Processor (FPU):Built-in

Performance Rating:PR1862 (estimated)

Multiplier: 10.5x

Generation: 7th (7x86)

Model Information: Athlon M4 (Thunderbird) 650-1.5G 1.7-1.8V

Revision/Stepping: 4 / 4 (0)

Stepping Mask: A9

Hope this is enough info to solve the problem. (BTW thanks for the CPU drivers tip)

Ill need to ask a few more questions. Is your system a compac pr hewlet packard or any kind of thrown together machine? Secondly altho your specs help me out Im look for what your bios says. Things you need to be aware of are in your MB manuel you need to look for what your default setting are for the following....

1.CPU Vcore- ex. my defualt was the lowest which is 1.65v but I run my at 1.85v. What this does in easier terms is supplies you cpu with higher Volts.This helps with overclocking.

2.Voltage I/O Settings (VIO)- This will really give you a better overclocking chance. Its the Voltage that your mother board is ran at. Most motherboards have 3 setting. Ex. Mine has 3.30v, 3.40, 3.60....I run mine at the highest settings 3.60v.

3.Your chip configuration- This is your ram. SDRAM Timing should have to settings (BY SPD, User Define) Depending on your ram you should start at the lowest settings which should be By SPD and settings below that 3T, 3T, 3T. (Trans Trc 7T,9T)

Other than leaving your FSB:SDRAM:PCI FREQ. RATIO set to 133:133:33 over clocking your motherboard will be done through FSB/SDRAM/PCI FREQ. (MHZ) settings in your bios. Now start one things at a time. Once you have overclocked you can up your RAM settings to see if all runs stable.

A big warning if trying to overclock make sure you have plenty of fans and air flow. Also throw away the piece of crap heatsink and fan you got with your CPU and get a good one. Those never do a good job. Just to give you a idea on air flow I have 1 fan in front of case, 2 in rear, 1 on top, 2 on side, fan on chipset, fan on graphics card, and BIG heatsink WITH A BIG FAN on my CPU. All are not stock but were put on by me. One of the best places to get items and other advice are:

ht*p://www.overclockers.com/

ht*p://www.ocmod.com/code/showdoc.php?p=home

ht*p://www.fast-mhz.com/

Look at this page Under new peoducts on front page:[/color:748afd915b]

ht*p://www.coolermaster.co.uk/

-Chris