SP2 Slowing things up :(

VigilanteLST

Hi,

having some problems, i fixed my slow internet problems by unticking automatically detects settings.

Internet Explorer -> Connections -> Lan Settings -> untick automatically detect settings...

Hope it help someone out there.

Hey, I'm having the same problem as the first guy. It happens when I start America Online. Everything freezes. I have to reboot. It's very annoying.

I disabled all the security features (firewall, etc) and also the services, yet the problem does not go away.

I cannot even get to the task manager to check the CPU processes.

I do not have any firewall installed or antivirus installed.

I slipstreamed SP2 on an SP1 cd then fresh installed.

The best solution------fresh installed SP1 again------ no more problems!!!!! Good old SP1.

There is one curiosity, however. I'm using a U.S. Robotics modem. With SP1, when modem dials out, it makes no dialing tone noise. With SP2, it does make the dialing tone noise... maybe something to do with driver??

Is that anybody using SP2 with multiple PCs? I have a problem in my office PC when I install the SP2. Everything are fine just only when I open the MS word and want to print the doc by using network printer and the system will take a long time in connecting the printer. Not sure anybody met the problem before?

I have had NO troubles with SP2 at all. I installed it on another of my machines and it went smoothly. I have heaps of Non MS software including PSP, Photoshop 6,7,8, Zone Alarm Pro plus some more. None of these programmes were affected and if anything, load faster.

I had NAV2004 and I have since dumped it in favour of NOD32. The difference is AMAZING. And the updates are daily it would appear. :D Microsoft uses NOD32 for itself. Says a lot huh? :)

Interesting reading this thread VigilanteLST

As I experienced the same problems with no seaming cause. I even posted to the private microsoft newsgroups but nobody could solve (they did try) the problem. It's weird inst it everything slows to a crawl but nothing is using any resources. The moment I went back to SP1 all was fine again - put in SP2, all slow! - uninstall SP2 all fine again. A few others have had the same thing happen also. Time will tell, as always what the problem is.

;)