SP2 Slowing things up :(

VigilanteLST

I installed SP2 RTM 2180 and ever since then, when I boot up for about 10 seconds more things are alot more slow, and when I am trying to load large webpages, Internet Explorer is much more laggy and slow... Not slow in the sense that it takes longer to load, but that the window freezes and often times must be stopped from the task manager... In many cases, that will not help and I must reboot to rid myself of the frozen window: any help?

I installed SP2 RTM 2180 and ever since then, when I boot up for about 10 seconds more things are alot more slow, and when I am trying to load large webpages, Internet Explorer is much more laggy and slow... Not slow in the sense that it takes longer to load, but that the window freezes and often times must be stopped from the task manager... In many cases, that will not help and I must reboot to rid myself of the frozen window: any help?

Need more information:

1. How did you install SP2? (Integrated, download, slipstream, etc)

2. Is this a fresh install of a slipstreamed copy of Win XP SP2?

3. Did you do a fresh install or just overwrite an older version?

4. If you overwrote an older version, what version was it? (SP1, SP2 RC1,2,etc. (Build # would be great.)

5. What mods if any did you do during install?

6. What is your network doing during this and what kind of network do you have? (dialup modem, LAN, direct dsl/cable, etc.)

7. What processes that you are shutting down are running at high levels? (Above 30%)

8. Anything else you can elaborate on to help us help you.

I downloaded SP2 from the microsoft website, and installed it using the built in extractor and installer.

I installed Windows XP off my installation CD, the original, not slipstreamed, and then put XPSP2 on the computer.

This is the first installation of SP2

Dial-up is my net connection.

I see no high level processes on my task manager.

Did you install other factory firewall? Symantec said there is no effective if you install the Norton Personal Firewall and turn on Windows Firewall.

You should turn Windows Firewall off if you install other factory firewall.

OK I reinstalled Windows XP completely last night and then installed SP2 from the Microsoft site and Internet Explorer is still only slowing up on that one site still. I guess it is a problem with that site or something the site is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone back to SP1a

I installed SP2 via WU and everything seemed the same.

Then I decided to do a clean install the other day using RTM 2180 network version slipstreamed with SP1a and then programs like PowerDVD were very slow or hung on running, Photoshop kept on freezing, IE was very slow.

So last night I did a format and completely reinstalled SP1a installed all my programs and no problems.

Everything is running smooth again.

I am sticking with SP1a till this slow down problem is fixed.