Copy old HD over to new one?

Rick

I want to image my everything that is on my hard drive now and copy it to a new one I just bought. I downloaded drivecopy last night but couldn't get it to work right. Is there a good software program that will do this? Telling me that I can do it through DOS is not the answer because that is just not my area of expertise. Help me make it easy!:)

Rick:D

Ghost is the one you want it makes it so easy..

you an do a disk to disk image, or create an disk or partition image direc to a cd or network drive.

it dont get any easyer than that.

BAH

If you are running Win9X (Win95, Win98, WinME), you can just put both drives in your pc and then run Ghost in Windows and chose to image the drive to another drive. I have done this several times and works fine. If you are running WinNT (4.0, 2000, XP) then you will have to boot to DOS to do it.

Alister

Okay, so do I have Ghost create a boot disk and then go to dos and use it? Like I said before, I tried to make the boot disk and load to dos but I get errors every time I try to load with the boot disk.

Rick

So, I take that means you are running WinNT (some version). You do have a CD-Rom or CD+RW drive (hopefully a CD+RW). I just created a bootable CD and then went to the hard drive and ran Ghost right from the hard drive.

I have a boot disc image (NERO) that I can upload for you. Are you using NTFS on your hard drive?

Alister

if its ghost 2002 you need to create the boot disk and do it that way, if ghost 6.0 or earlyer yo can run it from within the OS...

I can send you a copy of the boot disk if you want as you do not need the whole app on to use it....

BAH

After dealing with rick and trying to figure it out I was baffled and though he was just a dumass:eek: [b:3da76de98e](Just kidding)[/b:3da76de98e] , but today My girlfriends father and I went to best buy and picked up a 100gig hard drive. We went back home and first used the install disk to copy the files from one drive to the other. Well after it completed we recieved a error. After looking and studing this error we tracked it back to the root directory of WinXP. It was missing some files that were unable to copy over. So we tried to copy manually over.....Well guess what XP smarter than we all give the piece of s***. It was copy protected from being put on another drive. Well after trying to use Ghost and another backup copy software.....Well we joined rick in his being defeated by XP......So my question is has anyone done this and worked flawlessly????

-Chris

• 6 years later...

Try Acronis True Image Home. I installed a larger drive, and used it to clone my old drive. After the file copy and a few reboots, my system worked perfectly from the new HD.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

They even let you try it for 15 days.

Quick note: make sure you have rebooted at least 3 times,after the file copy, before you finally remove the old drive. The last thing to copy over will be the swap file, even if it's on another partition or drive.

Edited by nitetek