XPCREATE Without SP2

Mattias

Many posts are about getting SP2 to work with XPcreate, that has not been a problem for me. I on the other hand want to know how to exlude SP2 from the build and still get XPcreate to download the post SP1 hotfixes?

This may be a verry ignorant question, but I´m kind'a new to this.

Any help appreciated.

The last time as in the first time I launched XPcreate it did start to download SP a big file on about 266mb. So I'm confused.

I'm gonna try to build a CD starting on Windows XP corporate RTM version and not having the SP2 file in the SPACKS folder.

Ok, thnx for the verry helpfull input so far.

Next question is as follows:

How do I download all the hotfixes that is post SP1?

For example:

I've tried fiddling around with Windows Update Catalog and it does not show me the same number of updates as regular Windows Update would.

My system is an installation of a SP1 slipstreamed Win XP and I have lots of hotfixes installed when I look in the registry.

How come Windows Update Catalog does not show me the same number of updates when I select to view updates from Windows XP Pro SP1?

I feel I don't have a satisfatory overview of the hotfix/update flora.

Hope u can folow my reasoning.

1) Install a machine with the "Core" OS - the same thing as whatever CD or state you start with. You may want to use vmWare or Microsoft's VirtualPC for this.

2) Run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and it should state which hotifxes are missing.

3) Take note of the list, and download the appropriate fixes. Install them on the test machine.

4) Go to windows update and see if it missed anything; take note again and download the appropriate fixes.

That should at least get you started ;) I've got to say though, unless you have a hard reason not to use SP2 -- I would consider installing it. If it breaks an application you need, or something like that... ok. Otherwise if it's just minor annoyances like the "security center" or the half-open connection limitation, or default firewall settings - those can be easily worked around with registry tweaks. I like the attempt at stack overflow protection that MS put into SP2, the increased Outlook / IE security settings, the popup blocker in IE, and some of the other features they've added. For the typical end-user, the fact that XP whines about no antivirus, or out of date antivirus, or non-automatic windows updates -- is a good thing. For you, it may not be, but again that can be overcome with a few registry tweaks.

-J

Thanks, all, for the input. The English list HAS been updated for SP2, and this thread wins the prize for being the first to notice. For SP1 fixes, you are on your own. Which route to take (SP1 or SP2) is purely a matter of opinion. I will continue to focus on the latest Microsoft recommended updates as my baseline. I do tend to agree with what Virindi has said.