$OEM$\$1\Drivers --folders and what to put wh

Trying to create an unattended XPSP2 CD, that will install my drivers for me.

I am new at this, and trying to verify where each driver file should go...

Folders (pretty much verbatim from the Unattended site) :

000_chipset

001_network

002_graphics

003_tv_out

004_sound

005_monitor

006_keyboard

007_mouse

The following drivers are the ones I have a question about, due mainly to the fact that they are bundles:

nForce 4.27 drivers-

- contain an audio folder, Ethernet folder, IDE folder, GART folder, MemCtl folder, SMBus folder. each folder has subfolders with .inf files. not to mention the root of the package not having an .inf file, but rather a setup.ini, setup.inx, setup.iss and setup.ibx files... Could someone who is proficient perhaps shed some light on this for me???

nVidia Graphics - pretty straight forward.. just dumping it all in the 002_graphics folder.

Logitech Mouseware -- has a W2K_XP folder with an .inf file, so I will dump that folder in 007_mouse.

SoundBlaster Audigy - 2 updates avail, each one has numerous files within it... each with a drivers sibfolder, I am assuming that I can just copy the contents of the latest one over to the 004_sound folder ..

As to my Silicon Images SATA controller, whats the best way to go about getting that set up so that I dont need to hit f6 and manually do that? I have a SiI folder from the CD that came with the Mobo.

Hope this isnt too much to ask this early, and that it is laid out well enough for you to be able to help ... if need more specifics just let me know.

Sorry for the long 1st post

Heiro the unattended.msfn.org site is a great page to go to to learn how to do unattended installs but it is not written in stone that you have to follow there methods exactly. example

you could put a folder inside your drivers folder called nForce and just copy the nForce drivers into it so it may look something like this

$OEM$\$1\Drivers\nForce

The only folders that are required are $OEM$ and $1 the above directory structure would end up on your hard disk as c:\Drivers\nForce. Get it the 000_Chipset... is just msfn's recommendations for clarity.

As for your Sil SATA controller it's best if we knew what motherboard you had and which version. For example, my ASUS P4C800E Deluxe has a variant of the Sil3112 driver package. All the directions were geared towards files that were named differently than the ones I had.

Post back if you have more questions.

I've read that the folder numbers 000_Something, 001_Something2, e.t.c. will ensure that the drivers will ensure to install in the order of the numbers but I've had no problems since I put all the drivers into one folder,

$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\ALL

And by the way, I use the nForce drivers.

As far as I know, the only order they get looked at is in the order they are specified in your OemPnPDriversPath, and that's not precise either. Windows will look for drivers as it sees fit, based on hardware ID I would think

i have question about nVidia drivers

How do you set it up?

The file i downloaded from website is .exe and i extracted it and it contains setup.exe, data1.cab, nv4_disp.cat, nv4_disp.inf, etc...

I want to install the setup.exe in silent.

Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO, with Gigabit LAN.

I use a SATA drive as primary, which is why I want to get the SiI drivers installed so that I can install windows on my sata drive.

For Sound, i am not using the onboard sound, but am using the Sound Blaster Audigy.

I have a GeForce FX 5600 video card, but the Nvidia drivers are Unified so thats not really an issue.

Logitech MX700 wireless mouse, again the Mouse drivers are unified.

The thing that has me confused, is the Chipset and the SATA. The Driver for the chipset is a bundle, that when extracted has numerous file folders within, and I am not clear as to if I just point to the .inf, that it will find the other folders that are within.

As I said this is my first attempt, and while I know this isnt a "Carved in Stone" site, I had thought that someone with success in doing this before would be able to help out. I really dont wanna botch the install, bork the install, as its a real pain getting everything back .. (hence the desire to create the unattended install CD).

I would rather have people assist with suggestions, and create a working (if somewhat cumberson) CD, then when I am more familiar with what is going on, then I would be more comfortable with streamlining the process.

I don't want to open a new topic so I'll ask here:

1. Can I skip any of the folders?

2. If I set a path in winnt.sif to search a driver in my folder will he continue searching in windows default drivers if the driver is not found in my folder?

3. Shouldn't all chipset drivers be found atomaticly by windows? How do I determine my type of chipset?

[edited for space]The following drivers are the ones I have a question about, due mainly to the fact that they are bundles:

nForce 4.27 drivers-

- contain an audio folder, Ethernet folder, IDE folder, GART folder, MemCtl folder, SMBus folder.   each folder has subfolders with .inf files.  not to mention the root of the package not having an .inf file, but rather a setup.ini, setup.inx, setup.iss and setup.ibx files...  Could someone who is proficient perhaps shed some light on this for me???

Logitech Mouseware -- has a W2K_XP folder with an .inf file, so I will dump that folder in 007_mouse.

SoundBlaster Audigy - 2 updates avail, each one has numerous files within it... each with a drivers sibfolder,  I am assuming that I can just copy the contents of the latest one over to the 004_sound folder ..

As to my Silicon Images  SATA controller,  whats the best way to go about getting that set up so that I dont need to hit f6 and manually do that?  I have a SiI folder from the CD that came with the Mobo.

Hope this isnt too much to ask this early, and that it is laid out well enough for you to be able to help ... if need more specifics  just let me know.

Sorry for the long 1st post

From what I can figure out, your wanting to know what to do about the files mostly about your NVidia package (non-video), NVidia Video, (which you seem to have figured out,) Logitech Mouse, and raid.

As far as your NVidia package (non-video), if you extract it, you will see all the individual files in their seperate folders inside of it, just pull out what you need from those files, (obviously if your running a SoundBlaster card, you wont need the audio, same for ethernet if your not using the one on the motherboard, etc,) and place them in their folders and just rename the folders to incorporate the numbering sequence, if that's your pleasure, here is how I have mine set up:

.\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\

AGP - Here I put all my video card drivers (ATI AIW, including MMC)

Audio - From Soundblaster (I use the creative update after installing to get updated drivers)

Gart - from NVidia Package

IDE - from NVidia Package

Keyboard - (Don't currently use, keyboard is M$ ripoff and drivers are already included)

LAN (Ethernet) - Where I put my wireless drivers, I dont use ones from NVidia.

MemCTL - from NVidia Package

Monitor - (Not Needed for my monitor Win XP dectects it.)

Mouse - from Mouseware Package

Printer - From Printer

Raid - From CDROM that come with Mobo

Scanner - From Scanner

SMBus - from NVidia Package

Now of course this isn't by any means a complete list of them but it's an idea of how I did mine.

In my AGP I extracted the entire download for the ATI AIW drivers into it, though I don't set up the rest of the AIW until after I have booted into WinXP the first time, I do install the drivers themselves, (until I figure out what is needed in the Driver.cab file.)

The Mouse, I have a Logitech Click! and I just copy the driver files to it from the extracted package as well, the problem is you don't get the control panel or cursors this way, which I just extract and place into the .\$OEM$\$$\Cursors folder I create. I can careless how Logitech wants me to set up their mouse, I customize it beyond their limitations anyways with registry tweaks. (Such as the fact they only allow either 1 or 3 line scrolling and not 2 as a selection. I also use a mouse tweak to set my speeds to how I want them as well, though they have a download util that will do this as well, I rather have them all done on install and made a permanent setting, which I do.)

If you want their control panel though I don't know if there are any specific settings you can set while installing it silently or that you can install it silently, as I was told by them that it's not possible.

For the soundblaster, I use the way it's mentioned in the forum here as well.

As it's mentioned above, I don't number my files either, just pull over what I needed from the extracted installers, and link to them. Windows XP will find them upon installation if they are on the disk at all, some of them you have to tell XP they are there and the instructions to do so are in the forum, that's not listed in the directions for making the unattended disk, just search for them. Though as I mentioned above, I am looking for the way to compress them all into the Drivers.cab file, (removing the old ones of course,) instead of doing it this way, if anyone knows of a link to the instructions, I would greatly appreciate it, I know I had found it once before, but I have lost my link and can't find the site again, I thought it was on M$'s site, but it's not there anymore, or I just cant find it one.

As far as the raid goes, I have seen on one of the posts a page that describes how to incorporate it, (as well as 100's more) into your XP cab file. Also, if doing a search for "Raid Drivers" here doesn't work, go to the NforcersHQ forums and look there, I know that I seen something on it over there, I believe that's where I seen the file that has all of them in it. I did have it, but I have since incorporated mine into XP itself and deleted the files. Now that SP2 is out, I have to find it again myself and redo it again for SP2.

HTH.

Thanx DisabledTrucker, I think that perhaps I will just forget the numbering of the folders, and just label each folder .. and then in the OEM path, tag each and every one that I have an Inf file for.

APpreciate the help here, gonna go blow up my PC with an unattended instal attempt :P

wish me luck.

Thanx DisabledTrucker, I think that perhaps I will just forget the numbering of the folders, and just label each folder .. and then in the OEM path, tag each and every one that I have an Inf file for. 

APpreciate the help here,  gonna go blow up my PC with an unattended instal attempt :P

wish me luck.

ROFL...Luck! yqw, g2hh!

• 4 weeks later...